"frozen" Door Switch

91ls400

The little button on the drivers door that tells the car when the door is open doesn't always register that my door is open. When it is cold out or there is a cold wind the rubber around the switch gets too stiff. Then when I open the door, the headlights don't turn off and the interior lights don't turn on. I would imagine that the security system doesn't set either. Right now everytime I get out I fiddle with the button to get the headlights to turn off. Is there something I can put on the rubber to make it more flexible at lower temperatures, does anyone else up north have this problem?

This "little" problem has caused me a dead battery and countless times I have gone out to see my headlights are still on.

Picture of the problem button, in case people don't know what I am talking about:

91lsdoor.jpg

Very common problems with these buttons. Someone here was talking about them a while back. These also give trouble on the Toyotas and even Hondas of the 80s and early 90s. What does not come on in your car- the interior lights, or the "door open" indicator on the instrument cluster? If only the light in the cluster does not illuminate, it could be a bad bulb. More than likely the button however.

I do not have a problem with the button not turning the lights on, but rather turning the headlights off. When I leave the headlights on and open the door, sometimes it does not go off and I have to either open the door again and close it, or wiggle the button.