Power Steering Stiff

hurschel

I have a '97 LS400 that I haven't driven in a couple of months, unhooked the battery tender and backed the car out of the garage, steering was harder than normal, but still had some assist. I drove about 50 miles and the steering was heavy, the same whether stopped or moving. Where do I need to start, I know that it should turn easier when stopped or slow, but is the same and heavier than I remember when moving at normal speed.

Belt slipping, low fluid, pressure or fluid loss, blockage due to coagulated fluid in the feed lines. Flush the P/S tank and system is a cheap alternative.

If still heavy steering, possible pump failure, if is heavy but then releases and is easy to turn and then becomes difficult again, possible rack/pinion unit failure.

Or you've been driving a Honda and are used to that system, lol.

Belt not slipping, fluid level is good and looks clean, will check the filter, didn't think about that. Don't drive a Honda anymore, but have had a Prius for the last couple of months so maybe that explains it, just got soft I guess. :blushing:

Well, now I know to PAY ATTENTION, I had started the car when I checked the fluid level the first time and thought it was ok. I wiped the stick and checked again, barely touching on the stick. I topped up the fluid and since it had been setting for a couple of months, I checked the tires and all four was low so aired them up and went for a drive. Glad to report that all is back to normal so I need to look for a leak now. Thanks for the suggestions.