2011 Ls460 Awd - Low Speed Vibration (?)

Sorry Ed but the Service Writer never gave me that information. In fact he hadn't heard of any vibration issues until I mentioned it to him first which prompted him to check for the service bulletin. Did your tech check for recent TSB? I'd be curious to know if he did because I've only made the 280 mile one way drive to the dealership for service once. And I would really like to hear if that fix was actually a fix or just a hoax to keep a new owner quiet?

NJTAZ No, I have not been back to my dealer recently (My dealer is a two hour drive as well) but will raise it the next time. Given the lack of success I had at getting the vibration problem fixed in my 2009 I am not optimistic for the 2011.

I went back and re-read these posts and see that your problem was actually at parking lot speeds which is not the same as mine. Mine was around 50MPH and 70MPH, uphill grade, and the shuddering could be quite severe if I kept the speed in the "sweet spot".

I guess I will just have to continue in my "pursuit of excellence"

• 3 months later...

Just an update on my vibration problem that I have had since I purchased the car 8 months ago.

I have taken the car back to Lexus 6-7 times. I have new tires and have the wheels balanced, etc. etc. etc.One solution offered was that I could trade the car in for $25,000...no thank you! One rep came and she said the car was ok and refused another test drive with me. I am finally resorting to the lemon law and have someone coming in november to test drive the car.

A friends husband use to be a Lexus dealer and he drove my car and said he felt something was wrong, that the car is not riding smooth and he feels the vibration I have been complaining about ever since I bought this mistake of a car. All I can say is that I am sorry I ever bought this car and so far my dealings with the ownership have not solved the problem. I will post the results of the final test drive just for your information! This retirement car has taken years off my health from the stress! :cries:

• 1 month later...

I think I have good news for AWD owners. There is a new TSB that deals with the specific issue of vibration/shudder with AWD.

It is "L-SB-0013-12 AWD Vibration between 30-75 MPH" and it was released by Lexus in March, 2012. ( I suppose this could be the same fix (Transmission update #EG1206) mentioned by Andiamo918 back in April but I am hoping it is an improvement.)

I have attached the actual TSB. I have not yet had a chance to have it done to my vehicle but hope to have it done within the next month or so. I will post the results.

L-SB-0013-12 AWD Vibration between 30-75 MPH.pdf

• 1 month later...

Well I have just had the TSB that I posted in my previous post applied to my 2011 LS and I am feeling pretty confident that this finally fixes the AWD transmission vibration problem. On inclines at speeds around 60 MPH under slight acceleration I would get quite severe vibration that was even noticeable to passengers. After this TSB was applied I could not detect any vibration.

I think I need take more time to be sure this is a permanent fix because when I first picked up this 2011 I could not feel any vibration but after about 4000 miles the car was vibrating worse than my 2009. I suspect that this was a result of changes to the transmissions's shifting algorithm after "learning" my driving behavior.

But if this fix does work it will have solved a problem that has plagued my ownership experience since June 2010.

• 1 month later...

Same problem with vibration at 37 to 45 mph. I've had mine back to the dealer several times. Once they wanted to replace the transmission, but the area rep told them not to. Went to another dealer and was told confidentially that Lexus is aware of the problem but does not have a fix for it, A little disappointing considering how much I wanted this car over a BMW or Mercedes. I have a 2011 ls awd which seems to be the model with the issue

• 2 months later...

Same problem with vibration at 37 to 45 mph. I've had mine back to the dealer several times. Once they wanted to replace the transmission, but the area rep told them not to. Went to another dealer and was told confidentially that Lexus is aware of the problem but does not have a fix for it, A little disappointing considering how much I wanted this car over a BMW or Mercedes. I have a 2011 ls awd which seems to be the model with the issue

It has been over three months since I had the TSIB I mentioned in my previous post in this topic and I believe it solves 95% of the AWD vibration problem. (I have heard from other owners who also had it applied and it was successful for them as well)

I still notice a slight vibration under light acceleration in the higher speed ranges 75-80 MPH+ but I can live with that. I suggest that anyone who has an AWD with this issue get the TSIB applied.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys I might just be a lucky owner. I haven't had that problem at all. I have a 12 ls460 and the only issue I have is turning on the auto wipers can't seem to get it to work. Over all the car doesn't shake or shiny around those speeds. I'm sorry you guys are going they this.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an ES 350 FWD traded it in less then a year later for a GS 350 AWD great car except seemed to be lacking in pick up so a year later I traded that in for the 2011 LS 460 L AWD

I took the 460 on dirt roads and really twisting roads my in "sports mode" and the car took turns that my Mercedes 560 SEL would feel like it was going out of control

The only noises I have ever heard were with the run flat tires on the ES and GS

The LS 460 handles like a sports car around the tightest turns, other then the normal tires squealing on extremely tight fast turns there is no other noticeable sounds

• 2 months later...

Hello John Henry,

I have the same problem with my 2012 LS460 std wheels AWD - a vibration when accelerating between 30 up to 70 mph usually on a highway incline. After 4 visits to the dealer:

...1st-mechanic drove-solution change trans fluid

...2nd-regional drove-acknowledged vibration-rotated tires

...3rd-regional engineer drove - acknowledge vibration - needed more time to evaluate

...4th-regional engineer drove - acknowledged but no solution."have to live with it - if software upgrade released to fix, we will advise"

I am now ready for a trade and although still considering the Lexus ( but not the AWD) looking at the Tesla and maybe the German engineered higher end models of the BMW and Audi.

So, your not alone living with it, John Henry.

Must say, however, very happy with our dealer but not happy with Lexus having to put up with that vibration every day.

The car is excellent in all other respects but this experience has soured me on Lexus, unfortunately.