Car Not Starting!

First off i'd like to introduce myself, i own a 1998 gs400 champagne on tan with all the options excluding gps wich i absolutely love to death since they were introduced back in 98 and immediately forked out the cash for this one as soon as i saw how clean and meticulously maintained it was! Unfortunately me and a co-worker attempted to diagnose a problem and just made things worse! :wacko:

Here is what went wrong :

fan for ac/heater stopped working so first thing we check is to see if fuse 50a is ok, wich it was...

while attempting to put back one of the relays(i believe was fan no.2 )he expained to me that it vibrated/shorted as he was putting it back in, i immediately noticed that my ambient temp. display was no longer working ( showing 2 horizontal bars side by side) and when i attempted to start the car well you guessed it , it would have a hard time starting and if it did it would immediately shut off after 1-3 seconds.

We immediately checked all fuses (both underhood and both in-cabin compartments) and everything checked out fine, also tried disconnecting battery but no luck there either.

My guess now is that i have a fried ecm but i could be wrong so any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a mill in advance, and love the site! Been stopping by here for quite some time and im happy to finally be a member! Will post up some pics of my car soon!

:cheers:

Hi John and welcome to the LOC. We're glad you decided to join us.

Even though the side bar to the left says "Guru Member", I have no idea what your problem is. Sorry.

Seriously, It obviously has to be conncted to the steps you took in replacing the components I would think. Do you have a diagram/layout of both fuse boxes showing which one protect what circuits? Some on here have found that you can't just take a flashlight and look at the fuse, you need to take it OUT and look at it directly it strong light to make sure it's not blown. I'm wondering if one of the circuits that might not be working could be the fuel pump or the fuse that handles the fuel injectors. Might explain why it will start reluctantly but can't stay running.

However, I am not familiar with this year or model so I will disavow any knowledge of this conversation should none of this be of any help. LOL

Tommorow, when the week starts going, traffic on the site will pickup and some others will start chiming in.

Please let us know how things are going.

Paul

Hi John and welcome to the LOC. We're glad you decided to join us.

Even though the side bar to the left says "Guru Member", I have no idea what your problem is. Sorry.

Seriously, It obviously has to be conncted to the steps you took in replacing the components I would think. Do you have a diagram/layout of both fuse boxes showing which one protect what circuits? Some on here have found that you can't just take a flashlight and look at the fuse, you need to take it OUT and look at it directly it strong light to make sure it's not blown. I'm wondering if one of the circuits that might not be working could be the fuel pump or the fuse that handles the fuel injectors. Might explain why it will start reluctantly but can't stay running.

However, I am not familiar with this year or model so I will disavow any knowledge of this conversation should none of this be of any help. LOL

Tommorow, when the week starts going, traffic on the site will pickup and some others will start chiming in.

Please let us know how things are going.

Paul

Thanks for your help Paul, appreciate it!...even though my car is still not working lol

Waiting for my mechanic to pass by and do a diagnostic on the car to see if he gets any codes...

• 1 month later...

Well i am happy to say and happy in general for that matter that my car has been back on the road for almost 2 weeks now and it feels great! The problem ended up being the computer so luckily we were able to locate a used one for a very reasonable price that also came with a key (a must) put everything in and she roared back to life!