Advice Needed On Potential 2005 Es330 Cpo Purchase

CPOGuy

Hello all,

I'm thinking about purchasing a Certified Pre-Owned 2005 ES330. Exact car can be seen here (if someone jumps ahead of me and grabs it, so be it)...

http://www.herbchamberslexus.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2005-Lexus-ES_330-4dr_Sdn-Sharon-MA/1522347903

Since I have never owned a Lexus before, I just wanted to lay out why I am thinking about buying this car, lay out a couple concerns, and let people respond by correcting me or confirming my thinking. I appreciate any insight you guys can give me.

1. I'm looking for the lowest cost CPO Lexus I can get, still far enough away from 100k that I won't void the warranty before 3 years, and has a good CarFax report (1 owner, well maintained)... as well as being somewhere in my vicinity (100 miles away). This car fits into all these criteria.

2. My goal is to drive this car for 3 years under warranty, then sell it privately. My hope is that I can drive this car for only a $6k or so cost over 3 years. (Cost I pay after negotiation minus cost I sell it for). I don't see this car depreciating all that fast the next 3 years... am I wrong?

A couple fast questions/concerns:

1. How much would you try to shave off the sticker price of this car? What is doable here with a CPO?

2. My biggest concern is maintenance costs, and the fact that the nearest Lexus dealership is 40 minutes away from me.

So... how much do non-warranty maintenance and repairs cost? Can I have those things done at a cheaper local shop (Toyota Dealer or Independent Shop) without voiding my Warranty? That would save money and be more convenient, but will I be hurting the car?

3. Is there anything particular I should know about the 2005 ES330 before I buy?

Thanks for any help!

Mike,

It appears from the dealer's website that what you've picked out would be a good prospect. I can say that if I were in the market, it would be a definite car to check out.

We've had our 04 ES330 (Nav package) for 6 years now and have amassed about 140 000 km ( 85 000 mi). Other than normal maintenance of oil changes, brakes, etc., the car has run flawlessly. I do all of my own maintenance and have only had to replace the sending unit (basically a small plastic volume control that can fit in your hand, that Lexus Canada wanted $500 for, and I purchased used from a California wrecking yard for $130 on eBay) for the self leveling headlight system.

Any independent shop can work on the normal maintenance of the car. Specific systems and parts for a Lexus cannot be ordered from Toyota dealerships in Canada (I don't know if its the same for you in the US. Many parts can be found online though, headlights, entire speedometers, door switches, alternators, bumper covers, etc. So, somewhere down the line, you may have to journey to that Lexus dealer to correct something the other guys just can't do.

That said, the cars are pretty much bullet proof. This one is our fourth, and will not be our last Lexus. They are about as reliable as anything you can buy.

As for pricing and depreciation in your market, I'm too far removed from your location to have an opinion of any value. Good Luck in your search!

Hi Mike and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

I'll try to answer your concerns in order or anything that "gbhrps" didn't already cover.

First, I can highly recommend the 2005 ES330. It was my first Lexus, and when it came time to trade, they had to pry me out of the car. I loved that car. So, rest assured, the year and model are reliable, easy to maintain, and hold their value well.

Depreciation is a difficult thing to be absolute about. What holds true here in Des Moines will not be true for your market. However, over the 2 1/2 years I owned it, the car depreciated approx. 3% . In my research that is far better that Ford or Chevy. The biggest factor that always drops car value more than any other is mileage.

A CPO cost the dealer about $1000. So within the &18,000 price their showing, a thousand of that is for the CPO. DO NOT buy the car with out the CPO. If your the type of person who feels the need to squeeze the blood out of every dealer, this probably is not the time to do it. For the price their asking, they make look at $600-750 off the price. That is based on my experience with the dealers here in Iowa. In Conn., there is probably a lot more competition and a hotter market. Do you have a trade in?

gbhrps covered the maintenance question pretty well. Many members on the board use independent mechanics for routine stuff; Oil change/tires/brakes,etc. In the USA, some Toyota dealers will service basic Lexus work but not all Toyota parts fit Lexus. Frankly, Lexus parts are expensive. You drive an expensive car, you pay to maintain it. But as the previous poster said, there are many sources for parts that are less expensive, and as a member now of this club, we have arrangements with a Dallas TX. Lexus dealer that provides a hefty discount to club members for parts.

Is there anything you should know about the ES330? Yes. Yours has the same exterior color that mine had. I got many compliments on that color. I've never seen any other car with that color. The cooled seats IMO, don't cool very well. Make sure you get a full sized spare.

Good luck. It looks like a good car at a good price.

Paul

Thanks guys!

Some useful info already. Hopefully even more chime in.

I just want to add that my other option is this 2006 GS300 AWD (I do live in Connecticut)...

http://www.lcpo.com/cpo_podetails.psp?ID=1257935763&VIN=JTHCH96S560001459&Web_ID=lex-hoffman&model=GS%20300&year=2006&dealerCode=60602

http://www.hoffmanlexus.com/certified/Lexus/2006-Lexus-GS-181086e70a0d048d00c9ebbb40c52b8a.htm#

Again, it has many of the same qualities I have looked for. I'm not sure which car I like better. Perhaps a tip or two in this thread will be the difference in which way I lean, from an "on paper/mechanical info" point of view.

It's gonna be one of these two. Can't wait to join the club!