New Lexus Owner

GNG-PLCS

Hey,

I just bought my uncle's 1999 Lexus GS300. I have only had the car for two days, and I absolutely love it. I feel like I have upgraded so much even though my friends say otherwise after I sold my 2005 grand prix gt for this car. It has 167,xxx miles on it, and I simply would like to be more informed on the vehicle, common problems, upgrades for looks/performance, etc.

This is what I know he did before I bought it.

-engine timing belt

-water pump

-tire rods

-fairly sure he changed all filters with oil change

I just filled it up today, and the check engine light came on. I believe it is simply the gas cap, but I am not sure how to reset the check engine light to make sure thats the problem. (can it be done with just the reset button, or will I have to disconnect the battery for a bit?) I also noticed a minor sound when I brake, it is hardly noticable, and only happens right before I come to a complete stop, or right after I let go of pedal, it doesn't sound like the brakes themselves, but something to do with the electronic control system maybe??? maybe it is also my imagination/ worries about my new car. thats it so far

I also would like to know some answers to these questions.

-any common problems I should know about?

-how I can familiarize myself with the car mechanically so I will be able to work on it myself for little stuff? stuff like replacing bulbs, filters, taking out front/back/side lights, interior etc.

-are there any ways can I double check my mechanic's integrity/pricing (is he honest, can I trust his repairs) (i dont live close to lexus dealership to get more professional opinion, i basically want to avoid them treating me like a dumb college kid who they think they can screw over maintenance wise and would like some trustworthy reference

-where can I get parts cheaper than retail? any suggestions

Future plans:

-headlights are looking a little foggy (oxydized) so plan on buying some new ones ; thinking halo projector headlights (undecided if i would prefer these with clear or black back housing, or if I want to go with a more original look)

-taillights im looking into getting are R/C LED taillights, had them on last car than loved them.

-clear bumper side markers will be put on after winter

-replace the burnt out bulbs on back license plate (maybe with clear or blue) depends on what headlights I get and if I decide to get LED taillights

-replace the old wood trim pieces inside (dash trim piece is cracked, little chunk missing)want either an alluminum or carbon fiber look, maybe another wood style if I find one I like

-also may want to upgrade the amp/speakers but i probably wont until I have too, Nakamichi sound system is pretty good already

-maybe looking into ECU chips for better gas mileage/power (I wont be racing the car, but I prefer the extra power/ better fuel economy)

If any of you have already fixed/bought/installed any of these things your feedback would be awesome. I will try to post pictures/ solutions to things I run into and find on my car as well. Overall Im extremely excited to be a Lexus owner, and Im looking forward to having this car till it dies.

Thanks Again, I know its alot to read...

Welcome to LOC! :cheers:

Happy new year! I would take the car and have the code scanned. It may be the gas cap or not? Brakes my first thought would be when was the last time pads had been replaced?

Welcome to LOC! :cheers:

Happy new year! I would take the car and have the code scanned. It may be the gas cap or not? Brakes my first thought would be when was the last time pads had been replaced?

I will check with my uncle on the brake pads, and I will see what code comes up as soon as some dealership/ auto parts store open after the new years. I have also pin pointed the noise as well, its coming from the front passanger side wheel well, and can definately feel all the bumps in road from that tire, you can diferential the passanger side from the driver side whenever I go over a bump on the road, any suggestions?