1993 Ls400 Oil Leaks Everywhere

lovemy1993ls400

I love my 1993 LS400, but it is leaking from most gaskets due to sitting up! Is this car worth the overhaul? It has 196,000 miles and I dont care to buy another vehicle to obtain a car note. So would an engine rebuild keep it alive longer or will this just create more money headaches once the engine is repaired and put back in?

You havent given us enough information to make an intelligent recommendation with, BUT, here goes.

It is probably not as bad as you think. but if it has not had the timing belt and water pump with the front oil seals replaced since the first 100k, miles,

that will probably run around a $1000. to have that done. (and it must be done).

The lower oil pan might be leaking, but it is no big deal to replace.

the rear main seal is about a 8 hour job, but probably is not leaking.

The valve cover gaskets probably are leaking (common) but are not expensive to replace.

so other than some Power Steering or Transmission, leaks/hoses, you should be good to go.

SO: carry it to a shop that works on Lexus cars (not a dealer) and get an estimate, and make your decision.

Good Luck, and welcome to the club.....

Leaks do not, in general, require an engine rebuild. That is a major undertaking and does not seem justified in your situation. As Billy mentioned, the leak(s) are probably not as bad as you believe.

The first thing to do is to identify each leak. Start by getting the engine cleaned. You have to be careful when cleaning an engine and it is not always advised for the amateur to tackle. However it can be done and will help you or a mechanic understand the extent of the leak(s). You can also learn what is leaking by checking fluid levels over time. Those that leak will need topping off fairly often. Also be aware that a squeaky clean, leak-free engine is not always that important. Most engines DO leak to some extent and it is not the end of the world. After you understand the leaks, you can develop a plan(with cost) for replacing gaskets or snugging down bolts(sometimes thats all that is wrong).

With that said, a power steering leak is very common on your vintage of car and should be addressed ASAP because the unit sets right above the alternator and can drip fluid into the alternator and cause it to go bad quickly.

You havent given us enough information to make an intelligent recommendation with, BUT, here goes.

It is probably not as bad as you think. but if it has not had the timing belt and water pump with the front oil seals replaced since the first 100k, miles,

that will probably run around a $1000. to have that done. (and it must be done).

The lower oil pan might be leaking, but it is no big deal to replace.

the rear main seal is about a 8 hour job, but probably is not leaking.

The valve cover gaskets probably are leaking (common) but are not expensive to replace.

so other than some Power Steering or Transmission, leaks/hoses, you should be good to go.

SO: carry it to a shop that works on Lexus cars (not a dealer) and get an estimate, and make your decision.

Good Luck, and welcome to the club.....

Hey and thanks for the welcome!! Lets see :) I had a shop look at it and also had a person who put the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, new distributor caps/rotors on...unfortunately he doesn't have the time to work on it:( look at it and seems the rear/front main seals, valve cover gaskets,oil pan, I guess the crank shaft??, and the power steering is leaking. ....basically if oil can come out of it, its coming! two shops quoted 2500-3000$ and my question is if I have an overhaul done will the car last or will i have issues with the engine being pulled out and put back in?? And if I pay thousands and its done properly thw car should last years?? These are my questions

Leaks do not, in general, require an engine rebuild. That is a major undertaking and does not seem justified in your situation. As Billy mentioned, the leak(s) are probably not as bad as you believe.

The first thing to do is to identify each leak. Start by getting the engine cleaned. You have to be careful when cleaning an engine and it is not always advised for the amateur to tackle. However it can be done and will help you or a mechanic understand the extent of the leak(s). You can also learn what is leaking by checking fluid levels over time. Those that leak will need topping off fairly often. Also be aware that a squeaky clean, leak-free engine is not always that important. Most engines DO leak to some extent and it is not the end of the world. After you understand the leaks, you can develop a plan(with cost) for replacing gaskets or snugging down bolts(sometimes thats all that is wrong).

With that said, a power steering leak is very common on your vintage of car and should be addressed ASAP because the unit sets right above the alternator and can drip fluid into the alternator and cause it to go bad quickly.

Yes I do have a power steering leak its small but you are right...my baby will hopefully be going in the shop right after christmas! Im not driving it but 100 miles a week right now (to school and home) so hopefully it will be ok till then

my question is if I have an overhaul done will the car last or will i have issues with the engine being pulled out and put back in?? And if I pay thousands and its done properly the car should last years?? These are my questions

answer..... yes it should last another 20 years, done properly, with scheduled maintenance, ....

replace the motor mounts and tranny mount at the same time, with all brittle/leaking hoses .

my question is if I have an overhaul done will the car last or will i have issues with the engine being pulled out and put back in?? And if I pay thousands and its done properly the car should last years?? These are my questions

answer..... yes it should last another 20 years, done properly, with scheduled maintenance, ....

replace the motor mounts and tranny mount at the same time, with all brittle/leaking hoses .

Great because I love the car and would keep it that much longer! Thanks

.... person who put the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, new distributor caps/rotors on...unfortunately he doesn't have the time to work on it.....

I don't think I'd take it back to this guy. If he changed the TB and saw a main crank leak and didn't suggest fixing it?!?!?! These leaks begin gradually and get worse so there must have been some sign of leakage. Maybe that's why he doesn't have time, he knows he messed up....

If the oil is spraying around down there you'll need to replace the TB again.

my question is if I have an overhaul done will the car last or will i have issues with the engine being pulled out and put back in?? And if I pay thousands and its done properly thw car should last years?? These are my questions

You really do not need an "overhaul". At least nothing as drastic as pulling the engine. Do not think of it as "if I spend thousands, it will last years". You do not need to spend thousands, nor should you. I understand the hyperbole and frustration when saying "...basically if oil can come out of it, its coming!" But step back, take a big breath and re-evaluate. I will bet it is not that bad. I really think your best move is to locate a reputable mechanic to look at the engine.