Speedy Strut Brand Struts For Ls400

ECUmedford

I have a 2000 LS400 and am looking to replace the front and rear struts. I've read a lot about Strutmasters and Arnott but I was curious if anyone has installed the Speedy Strut brand from APXautoparts.com? Set of four complete strut units (coil spring, mount, everything) runs a little over $400.

http://apxautoparts.com/apx/1990-2000-lexus-ls400-full-set-of-quick-install-speedy-strut-complete-strut-assemblies.html

1490-ss_1.jpg

Okay I was live chatting with their tech support and told them I was looking for more info about them on the LOC. They gave me a discount code "lexusownersclub" that takes $20 off the set. I still haven't decided though.

I found a bunch of reviews on various auto forums (Lexus, Mazda, Nissan, BMW) on Sensen shock absorbers and found only positive reviews. All reviews seemed to say that the Sensen shocks they bought were stiffer than OEM but acceptable. I did not find reviews on complete Sensen strut assemblies including the springs.

Different springs could dramatically change the ride. I think back to the optional "DHP" (Dynamic Handling Package) suspension offered on the 1998 LS400 in the U.K. where many thought the DHP springs gave an overly harsh ride and there there were problems with the springs breaking. But maybe the Sensen springs are OK - who knows?

Why are you replacing your shocks? Leaking? The ones on my 2000 LS400 are still fine at nearly 147,000 miles and the shocks on my previous LS400 were still OK when I sold it at 183,500 miles. These cars had a soft suspension when new. People who buy them as used cars sometimes assume that the shocks are worn out due to the cushy ride but that is usually not the case.

I noticed that the Sensen shocks are available separately for about $160 for a set of four which is certainly far less than the almost $800 discounted price for an OEM set from Sewell. I assume that compressing the springs to change only the shocks wouldn't be any different than on other cars. Spring compressors like the ones I bought 35 years ago sell online for as little as $25.

I have the same question...why do you want to replace the struts? They are, most likely, still good. If you do change them, be very careful with the brand. Lots of cheap stuff out there that is not even close to the OEM quality so your ride will suffer. If you do have leaky shocks, I would recommend keeping the original coils and rebuilding the struts. Or buy the OEM from Sewell. If you do not feel that is within your skill level, you can have a shop install the new parts. But keep things as close to original as possible if you do not want to compromise the ride and handling quality. Its a Lexus not a Ford. The momentary savings of money will be soon forgotten but an inferior ride will live on for what will seem like an eternity.