Help With Rx400H Nav Disc

I need a little Help. I messed up the nav on my wife's 400H. I was at the menu to override the nav while driving feature when I saw the choice to download maps. We are moving to Alaska next year, and Alaska was not on the current nav. Thinking that the map options it was showing were on the disc that is installed I chose the second available North American map. The screen then read "Please insert correct disc". Not having any other discs, I have tried everything to get it to load the old disc; ie eject disc then reinsert, eject disc disc disconnect battery, etc. etc. Nothing has worked, and it just says "Please insert correct disc". I don't really mind not having the nav since tomtom is better, but it also affects the bluetooth phone feature, and the maintenance screen.

The dealer has of course suggested I buy the new nav disc, but I don't want to pay the $170 if they aren't the "correct disc". I kind if think they wouldn't work, since I'm assuming it wants one of the nav discs that were available in 2006.

What I am hoping is that someone with the same model, 2006 RX400H, can go to that menu and tell me what the choices are so I can try to find the "correct disc", but please don't try to download if you don't have the disc, I don't want you to end up in the same spot I am in.

Thank You for any help you can provide.

I don't own a 400h, but I have had experience with other OEM DVD based nav systems. In my other car, a 2007, S80-Volvo, the nav system uses two disc. One disk has apprximately 1/2 of North America on it, the other disc has the other half. When I have purchased updates, the division of geography has been the same. I think this is because in 2007 the data density capability of the DVD was only so many bits and bytes, and it took two disk to squeze it on to.

If your still using the same disk from 2006 it's a minor miracle you haven't ended up in Kalamazoo instead of Kansas. Road construction is ongoing and cities are constantly changing street names to honor "The Honorable So&So" or for new developments. I would guess the updates for your Tom-Tom aren't too cheap. At least they aren't on a Garmin. Bite the bullet and buy the upgrades.

MASEACE has a good idea to try and reset the system;then add your new disks!

Paul

Disconnecting a battery terminal often doesn't reset everything on a newer vehicle because there are capacitors used to store a little bit of electricity to trickle to the ECM and other "power essential" components (like anti-theft radio units and alarms).

In a gas-powered vehicle, you can do a hard reset by removing both terminals and touching the cable ends together to discharge the capacitors. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING THAT IN A HYBRID because I frankly don't know much about the relationship between the hybrid-electrical system and the battery electrical system. This wipes memory from the ECM and other memory-retaining devices.

There is another way to drain the electrical system fully for gas-powered vehicles, and that is to disconnect the terminal and lay on the horn. The horn is always on (one of the few features that is), so laying on it until it discharges the reserve capacitors wipes any memory from the ECM. Again, I'm not that familiar with the relationship between conventional and hybrid electrical systems, so I'm not sure this would work.

BTW, doing any procedure that wipes out all reserve power to the ECM will have your car doing some odd things (incorrect idle speeds and the like) until it relearns what it needs to know.

My suggestion would be to (1) locate the fuse for the NAV system and remove it. Leave it out for a few hours. Note that there is likely a different fuse for the NAV cpu and the screen. The CPU is the fuse you need to pull. If that doesn't work, (2) access the back panel of the NAV CPU and disconnect the wiring harness.

Going whole hog by disconnecting the battery or attempting a hard reset has too much potential for backup systems that will thwart you or unintended consequences, so isolate the item to which you wish to remove power, and address that alone.

Best of luck,

Tex