New With Ls 430

mm430

Hello to all,

I'm new to the forum and just purchased my first Lexus. It's a 2001 LS 430. WOW, what a car. I have a question. It only has 28k as it was owned by an older couple that had more than one home. Obviously, they did not use the car much. I called the Lexus dealer and the service guy suggested I replace the timing belt along with the water pump seals (I think). Plus flush the radiator, trans, new spark plugs, etc. He said it was based on time. The car runs great. I just put 600 miles on it driving it home. What do you guys think? The oil was done just before I picked the car up. Thanks.

PS What a great forum...I just deactivated the Lexus Link system with your help.

The Lexus guy is looking for business. Time is a factor in the timing belt and the coolant. As for spark plugs, water pump, and trans oil, no.

It might be a good idea to do the t-belt, and the coolant. That's what I would do. The trans oil is ( I think ) like the earlier cars, drop two litres, add two litres. Not a big expense if you decide to do it.

You have a nice car for sure - and it has many miles ahead of it with a bit of care.

And, of course, if the tires are over six years old, they should be replaced. There is a date code on the tire sidewalls - how to interpret the code can be found at tirerack.com and probably a number of other places.