Rx 330 - Headlight Condensation

adlewis

I recently purchased a used 2004 RX 330. I noticed that the high beam bulb was out on the passenger side. Within a few days of purchase, a car wash and a good drive in the rain later, heavy condensation appeared inside the headlight casing. Now the low beam bulb is out as well. The low beams are the blue halogen bulbs, or so I thought. I'm now learning they are part of an HID system? I tried to simply replace the bulbs myself, but I couldn't even get inside the casing. I then started to research the problem online which is where I learned of the HId issue and how expensive it can be.

I'm not anxious to take it to a dealer and spend a fortune to have it repaired.

Are these bulbs really $160 each? Could I really be facing a replacement of the whole casing and headlight system n that side? Is a dealer my only option?

Help!

Well, HID systems (high intensity discharge) use a xenon bulb and what's called a "ballast". Since xenon bulbs need thousands of volts, and since a car battery only puts out 12-15V, they attach a "ballast" between the battery and the bulb which converts the 12V to something like 75,000V to ignite the bulbs.

Are you sure the bulb is damaged and not the ballast? If you can manage to open the round panel on the back of the headlight and remove the bulb, you can put it in the opposite side headlight and see if it works. If the bulb doesn't work in either headlight, you'll know the bulb is bad. However if it works in the other headlight, then you'll know it's the ballast that's bad.

You can get used xenon bulbs on ebay for about $50. Never buy a new one, as it won't match the other side headlight. Xenon bulbs lose brightness and change color over time. So a new bulb won't look the same as a used bulb.

And either wway, you'll need to replace the entire headlight as well. The seals on the 04-06 RX330 headlights weren't designed to last. You'll never be able to keep the condensation out. However, Lexus fixed the issue for the 07-09 RX350 headlights which are 100% identical besides the seals. So if you can find a used 07-09 headlight from ebay (and ensure it's the same type as yours, HID either with or without AFS) you can put it in your car and you won't get moisture.

To remove the headlight from the car the bumper will need to come off... if you're worried about getting it on and off, you can take the car to a local bodyshop which will be less expspensive than a Lexus dealer. :)