2000 Gs300 Won't Start - Key Immobilizer

I have a 2000 GS300 that I purchased used. The previous owner only had one factory key, so I had a second key made. The original factory key now has lost “sync” with the immobilizer and will no longer start the car. All other functions still work with that key (open door, turn on accessories, etc) and the duplicate key will still start the car.

I have tried various versions of the “pedal dance” and can’t get the original factory key to link again. The dealer says I need a new key (~$175) as the chip in the original key as gone bad. I wanted to see if that sounds correct, since if the other functions still work, I would think the chip was still good. Thanks.

I suppose the key chip could be bad. What do you mean by "pedal dance"? I don't see anything in the attached document that involves pressing any of the pedals. The document covers the 1998-2000 GS300/400 and I am assuming it covers the 2000 GS300 since it covers my 2000 LS400.

1998 LS400 key programming.pdf

I suppose the key chip could be bad. What do you mean by "pedal dance"? I don't see anything in the attached document that involves pressing any of the pedals. The document covers the 1998-2000 GS300/400 and I am assuming it covers the 2000 GS300 since it covers my 2000 LS400.

Thanks, but I think that procedure only deals with linking the key to the door locks. Here is an example of the "pedal dance" process.

www.locksmithcharley.com/toyota-obp-e-instructions.doc

Thanks, but I think that procedure only deals with linking the key to the door locks. Here is an example of the "pedal dance" process.

www.locksmithcharley.com/toyota-obp-e-instructions.doc

Yes, I think you are correct. When I now visualize the routine a Lexus dealer service writer did in 2003 to program new keys for me, the guy did flail around like a mad man with the pedals.