Audio

Is just bought a 1998 GS 300 for my daughter. The audio system has been modified. It has the manufac. stereo but someone added a JVC CD changer. The CD changer does not work and I am not sure where to take it for repair. It does not work at all. I would like to replace the manu. stereo and add a new audio system. Can I have the cd changer repaired or replace the entire audio system. I want to add a 10" speaker and amp. What would be the best way and least expensive way to modify the audio system: new stereo, 10' speaker and amp? Thanks for any suggestions.

Is just bought a 1998 GS 300 for my daughter. The audio system has been modified. It has the manufac. stereo but someone added a JVC CD changer. The CD changer does not work and I am not sure where to take it for repair. It does not work at all. I would like to replace the manu. stereo and add a new audio system. Can I have the cd changer repaired or replace the entire audio system. I want to add a 10" speaker and amp. What would be the best way and least expensive way to modify the audio system: new stereo, 10' speaker and amp? Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Erin,

Welcome to the Lexus Owners Club and thanks for your post.

You have posted your question in the wrong location. The Club Lounge is for discussion topics of all types, of a non Lexus nature. Your posting needs to be in the "GS" forum under "GS300, 1998". Very few GS owners will see your post in this section so I would encourage you to go to the "GS" forum and place your question there. In the mean time, I will try to answer a few of your questions for you.

First, I'm not very familiar with the 1998. Is the CD changer in the glove compartment? If so, you probably would have to keep the replacement changer in the same place and not with the new "Stereo/Head Unit".

A reputable car stereo-audio repair and installation dealer would be the best place to take your system for repair. The Lexus dealer is not equipped to repair these components, only replace them IF they can still get them. As part of the Lexus Owners Club, a member named "dcfish" is the authorized outlet for Lexus audio and video equipment. Often he will have components for older models that others do not have. If the car audio repair shop you go to tells you that a Lexus part needs to be replaced, "dcfish" may be able to help.

A 10" speaker, ( I assume you mean sub-woofer), with a dedicated amplifier would be a good addition as long as it is matched to the existing systems power requirements.