No Battery Light

DaveFolz

My '06 SC430 and a friends '05 330 have had alternators and batteries replaced by the same mechanic. In both cases the battery light did not come on to indicate that the alternator was failing. In both cases the mechanic indicated that the alternator was charging too low, leading to killing the battery as well. Is this reasonable? Thanks for your thoughts.

You need a new mechanic. It cost absolutely nothing to have Auto Zone or Advance Auto (others also) to check your charging system and load test your battery. Why would anyone not use this free service? As for your alternator and battery failing on both cars, I'd come closer to catching a meteorite bare handed. My wife's 2003 SC430 has 240K miles on it and has the original alternator, but just last week I had to give up the original battery which was over 8 years old. To anyone else that reads this, ALWAYS request your old parts. Had this owner done this he could have taken the alternator to store and had it tested free. It would be great to take it back to the mechanic and tell him there is nothing wrong with this one....