My 1997 Lexus Ls400 Only Gets 13 Mpg

lucymiao

lucy, one more thing to consider is the air filter. While it won't make a huge difference in MPG, if it hasn't been changed in a while, it could have a small impact. Since you just recently got your car, you do need to look at it to see its condition. If dirty, replace.

I only mention it because I didn't replace my air filter as soon as I should have and have noticed a small improvement in MPG after I did.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all, especially AzHotLS, and landar for your kind, quick and effective information.

I am posting the solution to my heating problem, so hope it maybe helpful for other people having similar problems.

The heating of my car is getting much better after I did the "purge" according to the advices from members here. It works well in winter in Kentucky, nice and warm; but if the rev is more than 2000 rpm, it is even much warmer. I am very happy with it now since I did not spend too much money on it. I just bought a greenish coolant from warlmart and added in since after the purge, the coolant was half empty (therefore, there was a lot of air inside of the system). The previous owner bleed the system,and just used universal coolant. Hence, I just bought the universal coolant and it worked just fine.

Previously, I consulted at least three mechanic for potential solutions for the lack of heating problem. some said, I need to change my heat core, which will cost about 700-800 dollars or more. One said that I might have to change my water pump, and it will cost about 300-400 dollars. and some other said some other reason, and will cost about 500 dollars.

I am currently not working, and my husband works. Financial wise, I have to be very cautious. The worst thing is to spend a lot of money on something we are even not sure what the problem is.

after I bought this car, it is functioning all right. the only thing I complain is that this car drinks gasoline crazy. Since both I and my husband, lives on campus, this car just serve as grocery cars, and we have to spend about 70 dollars on gasoline. We really do not use this car so often, mostly on weekends for grocery shopping. the mpg is just too low. One of my friend bought toyota camry, and it just much better with mpg, about 26 or 27 mpg. for any student who has a tight budget, please forget Lexus V8, it consumes too much gasoline. Every time you drive it, you feel the expensiveness of gasoline. I use premium gasoline now, here in Kentucky is 3.23 dollars/gallon.

Once gain, thank you, guys for your kindness and information.