Getting Spark Plugs Out, And Obdii

Hi. I have a right hand drive 1999 LS400 from Singapore. I bought an Auto Tap OBDII reader from USA to use on this car. The auto Tap does not recognise the vehicle. So I tried another brand here, and it didn't work either. It was suggested by one person, that there might be a factory code or password required, so only factory readers can be used. Does anybody know if this could be the case, or are the RHD cars different in some way, or is it just my car that has a problem?

Also, I wanted to have a look at a spark plug, to see how they look, as the car has just turned over 90,000 kilometres. The bolt that holds the coil onto the plug came out okay, but I couldn't get the coil off. It came part way, and felt as if it was stretching rubber. I assume it has stuck on the plug. I don't want to pull too hard, in case it does some damage to the coil or the connection down to the plug. Any thoughts how I can safely get this off? Many thanks. Cheers, Keith.

Keep pulling, the rubber boot on the end is just a tight fit. You won't break anything.

As for the code reader, that's weird. I thought all OBD-II vehicles were the same compliance, no matter where they were built/sold.

I would think it is a problem with your particular car. Maybe the OBDII connector is messed up (pins bent, missing)? Might have been a problem from the factory. I would take it to a dealer and have them plug in their tool to see if it works correctly. Take your own OBDII along and ask why it does not work. Might cost you a few bucks but will clear the issue. If they can not read it, you know it is a problem with your car.

On the plugs, keep pulling as RDM says. Snap...whooops.... :whistles: You can always buy new ones. You don't actually need to change the plugs until 200KM (120k miles).

Hi. I have a right hand drive 1999 LS400 from Singapore. I bought an Auto Tap OBDII reader from USA to use on this car. The auto Tap does not recognise the vehicle. So I tried another brand here, and it didn't work either. It was suggested by one person, that there might be a factory code or password required, so only factory readers can be used. Does anybody know if this could be the case, or are the RHD cars different in some way, or is it just my car that has a problem?

Also, I wanted to have a look at a spark plug, to see how they look, as the car has just turned over 90,000 kilometres. The bolt that holds the coil onto the plug came out okay, but I couldn't get the coil off. It came part way, and felt as if it was stretching rubber. I assume it has stuck on the plug. I don't want to pull too hard, in case it does some damage to the coil or the connection down to the plug. Any thoughts how I can safely get this off? Many thanks. Cheers, Keith.

not sure about the codes, but i had a hell of a time changing the plugs in my 92, just keep pulling and turning, i thought i broke a wire at one point but hooked it up to my multimeter and was fine. Lol the job took me three hours and !Removed! knuckles, my 05 neon takes like half an hour to change the plugs.