Cosmic Rays

I just read that someone has posited the theory that Toyota runaways may be caused by cosmic rays, which is being studied by the Govt. Don't know how likely, but it is possible. I have always wondered about the safety of a vehicle with critical systems and components designed by computer engineers and computer programmers and not automotive/mechanical engineers. Just an unbiased thought to ponder.

R Wyle

Mechanical Engineer, Retired

I just read that someone has posited the theory that Toyota runaways may be caused by cosmic rays, which is being studied by the Govt. Don't know how likely, but it is possible. I have always wondered about the safety of a vehicle with critical systems and components designed by computer engineers and computer programmers and not automotive/mechanical engineers. Just an unbiased thought to ponder.

R Wyle

Toytota has already stated that the electronics are protected from this sort of thing. If cosmic rays could affect critical electronics that easily, there'd be planes falling out of the sky, your microwave would try to kill you, and your cell phone would melt your ear.

Now an EMP, or a solar burst...that might be a different story.

R Wyle

Toytota has already stated that the electronics are protected from this sort of thing. If cosmic rays could affect critical electronics that easily, there'd be planes falling out of the sky, your microwave would try to kill you, and your cell phone would melt your ear.

Now an EMP, or a solar burst...that might be a different story.

Cosmic rays do not harm humans, but the can do weird things in circuits of microprocessors and computer chips which are now down the the size of a few atoms. Airline manufacturers and NASA have known about the concerns for years and have built redundancies in their computer programs to prevent failures in case of cosmic hits. Automakers have not.

Here's the actual information received by the NHTSA

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms...0003-39160P.pdf

Toyota's response

NHTSA is not commenting on the story, but Toyota is. The company told the Free Press that its systems, "are not the same as typical consumer electronics. The durability, size, susceptibility and specifications of the automotive electronics make them robust against this type of interference."

Here's the actual information received by the NHTSA

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms...0003-39160P.pdf

Toyota's response

NHTSA is not commenting on the story, but Toyota is. The company told the Free Press that its systems, "are not the same as typical consumer electronics. The durability, size, susceptibility and specifications of the automotive electronics make them robust against this type of interference."

All of this is so weird and interesting....cosmic rays? Wow, who'da thunk it? By the way, I am called "Cosmic Rey" at times! I do hope that all of this gets straightened out. I have always talked up Toyota through the years and this has been so hard to take in. I hope the company recovers its amazing reputation. "Cosmic" Rey in L.A.