Suspension Question/advice For Ls400?

Frank Zappa

Hi there,

I love the feel of my '95 LS400, so much so that I'm going to be restoring it to as close to new as possible. The one complaint that I would have is that I find the cornering not to be very responsive. While I much prefer the feel of a luxury ride to a sportier suspension, I would love it if my car would handle the corners a little more responsively without sacrificing the quality of the ride.

That said, I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on what I can do to get a more responsive ride. How much would it cost me to lower my suspension, for example (local mechanic, not Lexus)? Any other suggestions? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi there,

I love the feel of my '95 LS400, so much so that I'm going to be restoring it to as close to new as possible. The one complaint that I would have is that I find the cornering not to be very responsive. While I much prefer the feel of a luxury ride to a sportier suspension, I would love it if my car would handle the corners a little more responsively without sacrificing the quality of the ride.

That said, I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on what I can do to get a more responsive ride. How much would it cost me to lower my suspension, for example (local mechanic, not Lexus)? Any other suggestions? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

hi, i have done the lowering for my 1994, and it rides more like a bmw now, now sure if that is what you want, but it handles the road much better. Also after lowering I use 225/45/R17. If you are interested in more details please let me know. I will try to upload the picture of how it looks after lowering, just for you to compare if you want that or not.

Serg

My '92 is lowered on KYB GR2 shocks/Tanabe DF210 springs, with OEM LS430 Sport 18" wheels on 245/45-18 tires. It's a noticeable improvement over when I got it, but it did have 160k on the OE parts. You might also want to look at ball joints/rod ends for play, firming these up with new parts does a lot too, and visually inspect all bushings and other components for wear while you're at it.

Funny thing, even after lowering it still rode 'springy', it wasn't until I replaced the front seats with buckets out of an '03 IS300 that I realized a lot of the feel I was experiencing was from the big, fluffy stock seats. Now with more solid seats it's twice as tight as it was with just the suspension.