Theft Deterrent

jsp

I am tired of the overkill theft deterrent system on my 1992 LS400. I am not worried about my car being stolen or a valet taking change out of my glove box. I would like to disable it. This is obnoxious and has happened to me several times:

1.) When I leave my lights on and completely kill the battery, I have no way of getting in the trunk to get my jumper cables - bogus, had to take out the back speaker to fish them out a few weeks ago. 2.) Yesterday, I had the deterrent system on but did not know it, thought battery was dead since no starter motor, charged my battery an hour, still nothing when turned ignition key, asked neighbor for a jump start, nothing, no starter motor turn over, no solenoid click clicking, for a little while I thought oh no my starter was shot, but perplexed at no solenoid click clicking, also noticed lights were full when on to test, so odd at no juice to power the solenoid but plenty for rest of electric, finally thought about ti try theft deterrent system - tried lock/unlock door a few times on the door - poof, car started out fine in a second after wasting three hours thinking my battery was dead, getting an unnecessary jump start which did not work, or scared I may have needed a new starter.

1.) All I want is a simple key door lock, no alarm, no disable everything. Is there any simple way I can disable the overkill theft deterrent system so it is like normal car?

2.) Does anyone have a link to the manual on exactly how the theft deterrent system works? How it is set, how to turn it off, what sets it off, the purpose of key hole left under the steering wheel? A pdf file would be great, I bought th e car used.

Thanks for any info.

joepomykala@gmail.com

Hi JSP, Welcome to the Club.

Others may have your answer, but my tip for you is:

Go to lexus.com, register your VIN as the new owner.

You will then be able to pull up all the repair history for your car done by Lexus Dealers.

BUT the MAIN THING is, there is a little box at the bottom of the first page, where you can click, and LEXUS will send you a replacement owners manual FREE, every six months. Get one for your glovebox, then ask for another one six months later to have in your house by your computer. Maybe it talks about your alarm system.

You get it from LEXUS in about five days I have read in these posts.

I don't remember the wire color offhand, but all you need to do is find the disarm wire from either key cylinder in the front doors and ground it. That way the alarm will never arm with the key or remote, but the remaining functions of the keyless entry will work fine.

Basically the key cylinder sends a ground trigger when unlocked to disarm the alarm, by grounding it permanently the system cannot arm.

Check the switch that activates your interior lights on your drivers door. Mine sticks sometime and that causes the battery to go dead because the lights don't go off automatically. The alarm system is tied into this. I never had a problem with the alarm in fact I had the car for 3 years before I even knew it had one.