How To Report A Significant Error In Nav System Database

Hi,

I recently posted about an error in the Nav database in my RX450h while travelling to New York. I just repeated the trip (Montreal-New York, round trip) and have made more observations. In my initial thread, I assumed one of the problems was in converting km to miles (it seemed that switching from miles to km fixed the problem). After repeating the trip, I think the problem is simply that the speed limit for the I87 os wrong, and is way below reality. It totally makes it useless for navigation to an address because it looks for any route other than the highway to get anywhere. On my return trip, after just getting on the I87 (essentially a 600km straight line to Montreal) the nav system refused to recommend that route. It preferred to have me do a 180, cross Manhattan and take a route up the other side!

Is there anyone in the area that can confirm the error?

Can updates be downloaded when I get my car serviced?

Thanks,

Roch

I recently posted about an error in the Nav database in my RX450h while traveling to New York. I just repeated the trip (Montreal-New York, round trip) and have made more observations. In my initial thread, I assumed one of the problems was in converting km to miles (it seemed that switching from miles to km fixed the problem). After repeating the trip, I think the problem is simply that the speed limit for the I87 os wrong, and is way below reality. It totally makes it useless for navigation to an address because it looks for any route other than the highway to get anywhere. On my return trip, after just getting on the I87 (essentially a 600km straight line to Montreal) the nav system refused to recommend that route. It preferred to have me do a 180, cross Manhattan and take a route up the other side!

You do have some limited control over how the routing algorithm treats different kinds of streets.

Have you tried adjusting the speed limit assumptions for major surface streets vs. freeway and see if it will route more to your experience?

Also, if the NAV thinks your street is a toll road and you have not allowed them in the settings, it will dutifully route you around it.

Yeah go in and adjust the speeds yourself. Also make sure you don't have it set to avoid any roads or types of roads...

Maybe I should read the manual, but if it is a short answer, can you correct the database yourself?

Thanks,

Roch

Yeah go in and adjust the speeds yourself. Also make sure you don't have it set to avoid any roads or types of roads...

Maybe I should read the manual, but if it is a short answer, can you correct the database yourself?

Thanks,

Roch

Short answer--- No

Just went in for my first service. I mentioned the database error, but got that blank stare from the service manager that tells you that the comment will end at her ears, or if/when she reports it, it will go nowhere.

They changed the oil and swapped my winter tires for summer (actually, the 4 seasons they normally come with). They forgot to change the reminder sticker on the windshield, but cleaned the rig up nice!