Window Molding Replacemant

ksteckel

I don't know if this has been covered before. Sorry if it has. I was wondering if anyone has ever has these black vertical window moldings replaced on their LS430. Mine is an '02. These are the passenger side, but the driver's side are worse one has a dent and other has some laquer coming off. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kyle

post-59161-1267977234_thumb.jpg

I would try a salvage yard first. For my 1992 those pieces run $716 and change for the front doors, $644 for the rears. They are stupidly expensive. The black portion is actually a sticker on the older models (maybe the new ones too), mine were scuffed up a bit and the chrome was showing underneath so I had them powdercoated a gunmetal color after I found out how much new ones were. Looks a ton better than the chrome/black.

That's not a bad way to go. It looks like they are about $340 from Sewell, which has the best price I have been able to find. It looks like they are held in by screws. I don't mind blowing the couple hundred for the parts, I just hope that they don't have to tear into the door and charge $1000 for labor. I guess I'll just swing by the dealer and get a labor quote. From the diagram it looks fairly simple by removing the weatherstripping and the lower trim. We'll see.

Hopefully it's easier than the early models. On the 90-94 you have to remove the window to access the lower screws, there's also about 10 plastic clips on each one that will ALL break and need replacing. They're about $4 each. The little tabs that the screws go in to are stamped on the window frame and very brittle, all of mine broke loose forcing me to restamp then solder then in place. All in all it was a major undertaking I would never attempt again, and I'm one to pull an engine just to do an oil pump, so that's saying a ton.