Check Engine Light And Bad Smell

ltannar

I have a used 2001 RX300 about 117K on it. Very suddenly the check engine light and VSC lights are on. The exhaust is rumbling and there is a foul smell coming from the exhaust (I think). I opened up the hood and the engine sounds like it's running fine but a loud rumbling comes from the center of the car. My wife was driving it on the highway and she said it was sort of hesitating (tripping as she put it). Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Foul smell is almost for certain catalytic convertor. Often described as rotten egg smell. You probably should have someone (parts house that does it for free) run a scanner on it to see if you have trouble codes show up. If a parts place runs it, they normally give you a printout of the codes and what they mean, but report back with the code or codes so we have some idea of what is going on.

Foul smell is almost for certain catalytic convertor. Often described as rotten egg smell. You probably should have someone (parts house that does it for free) run a scanner on it to see if you have trouble codes show up. If a parts place runs it, they normally give you a printout of the codes and what they mean, but report back with the code or codes so we have some idea of what is going on.

It turns out I have two bad sensors. The oxygen sensor and an air fuel mix sensor were bad causing cylinders 2,4,6 to misfire. I'm guessing the odor was unburned fuel or something like that. I couldn't find anyone in my area to do a scan for free. The best I could find was around $70. Everyone wants to spend 30 minutes on the scan and another 30 doing who knows what. Thanks for the willingness to help it is much appreciated. All said this will cost somewhere around $600.