2 New Issues

a1s1a1

Dear All,

I am an owner of ES 350, UL Package which was purchased new last year. It has now 9000 miles on the odometer. I wonder if any of you be so kind to throw some light on the following two issues that are somewhat odd that I have noted. I have looked into any available tsib on these two issues, which I couldn't find and have taken the car to the dealership which is a 200 mile round trip for me but the problem persists.

1. Since last year and after a cold start, i.e. temperature less than 20 F, for about 10-15 minutes as I am coming to stop the car at a stop sign the car wants to jump forward just before it stops. From jump I mean that as I am applying brakes and as the speed of the car is coming to 4,3,2,1, mph......it seems that it wants to accelerate without my foot on the gas pedal but the brakes holds it and prevents it from taking off. Of note is that I don't have a 4-5 gear flare. I mentioned it to the dealership last month and they did "ECU flash" and filled up the transmission fluid which was below its desirable level, as I was informed but that didn't help.

2. On a cold start i.e. temperature less than 10 F, as I press the start button there is a squeal ( something like a belt squeal )when the car is starting. This happens for a second or two and the car always start. The dealership told me that it is normal for cold temperature starts? Prior to this lexus I had infiniti and acura which never had this squeling noise. Over the past 20 plus years I have had toyotas and hondas and have always lived in Wisconsin but never had this type of issue.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

1. Since last year and after a cold start, i.e. temperature less than 20 F, for about 10-15 minutes as I am coming to stop the car at a stop sign the car wants to jump forward just before it stops. From jump I mean that as I am applying brakes and as the speed of the car is coming to 4,3,2,1, mph......it seems that it wants to accelerate without my foot on the gas pedal but the brakes holds it and prevents it from taking off. Of note is that I don't have a 4-5 gear flare. I mentioned it to the dealership last month and they did "ECU flash" and filled up the transmission fluid which was below its desirable level, as I was informed but that didn't help.

Its because of the high RPM the engine idles at when its cold, this is totally normal.

2. On a cold start i.e. temperature less than 10 F, as I press the start button there is a squeal ( something like a belt squeal )when the car is starting. This happens for a second or two and the car always start. The dealership told me that it is normal for cold temperature starts? Prior to this lexus I had infiniti and acura which never had this squeling noise. Over the past 20 plus years I have had toyotas and hondas and have always lived in Wisconsin but never had this type of issue.

This is probably a lack of proper tension on the serpentine belt. I would insist that they replace the belt or at least adjust the tension...

My belt was replaced about the same age as yours for the same issue. In fact I didn't even report it, it squealed upon startup at the dealer while it was in for something else and they just replaced it...

This is in addition to what SW said about your first question.

It is both that the engine is idling at a higher RPM at lower temps AND the car shifting into first gear right before you stop that creates the sensation that the car is "jumping" forward.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with this, but it is definitely something I notice more with the 350 as it hits 1st gear just before you stop completely.

Thanks Steve and mhawkin1 for your thoughtful replies. I will again insist on the change or adjusting the tension as suggested.

The surprising thing is that I had to leave the car overnight so they, the dealership, can have an early morning start and listen to the belt squeal. The service consultant did acknowledge the squeal but advised me that it is normal and all es 350 do this when it is so cold. I specifically discussed my concern about the belt which I thought was slipping but they said that they had checked it and that was fine. On the other note, this dealership is very helpful otherwise in providing an A class service. I must say that I am somewhat perplexed why they would not correct an obvious problem, unless, the problem is not so obvious and there is something else going on which they did not know how to fix. At the end, I would say that these warranties is a good thing and if the problem persists or nags, I would pay them a visit again. a1s1a1

A new Lexus should not squeak when you start it - period.

If your service advisor says it is ‘normal,’ then speak to someone else – maybe the service manager. Just make sure they are aware you will keep bringing the car back until the issue is resolved.

I would also point out that when they say things that are absurd (e.g. a new Lexus squeaks and it is normal), they know you think they are full of S. I have found that if I don't point this out to folks (in different circumstances in life) people may think you believe them; when they are clear you don’t, issues seem to be resolved more quickly.

A new Lexus should not squeak when you start it - period.

If your service advisor says it is ‘normal,’ then speak to someone else – maybe the service manager. Just make sure they are aware you will keep bringing the car back until the issue is resolved.

I would also point out that when they say things that are absurd (e.g. a new Lexus squeaks and it is normal), they know you think they are full of S. I have found that if I don't point this out to folks (in different circumstances in life) people may think you believe them; when they are clear you don’t, issues seem to be resolved more quickly.

I would respond to the service people by asking them to cold start 5 of their ES 350's on the lot so you can hear each and everyone of them squeak since, if its normal, they should all be doing it, right? If they don't, then you can certainly make your point that it isn't "normal" and they need to fix yours.

In regards to your issue #1, I would be very concerned about that as it is not normal and should be investigated.

In regards to issue #2, I have never had a fan belt squeak with my current 2008 ES350, but prior to this car I had a 2005 ES330 that did frequently have the fan belt squeak when I started it in cold weather. I did mention it once to the dealer who said it was a minor quirk with some lexuses. I occaisionally checked the tension on all of the fan belts and none of them ever seemed too loose. Since I had no other issues with that car, I just lived with it as it didn't really concern me. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought that car as I think it was made better than my current model.