Won't Start After Elctrical Work

Hi-

I made a beginner's mistake in taking on two electrical projects at the same time. I installed a hitch harness to the taillights (direct power connect to battery) and removed the stereo at the same time. Car wouldn't start. It turned over but wouldn't catch. Dash gauges were blinking as if there were an electrical problem.

I removed the hitch wiring harness and reattached the stereo. The stereo is a single unit with climate control and the factory alarm (blinking security light) attached. I reattached the whole unit, so the stereo is back in place and the hitch harness is removed. Still won't start.

The only 2 things I can think of as potential causes: 1) bad ground on the hitch harnass upset the electrical system or 2) unplugging the stereo/climate control/blinking alarm light upset the electrical system or alarm system.

Any ideas on what the problem could be or how to fix this?

Thanks!

Did you disconnect the neg. battery terminal before you started ? If so make sure the battery contact is clean and tight.

Welcome to the club :cheers:

I did not. Woops!! Is there a reset procedure? Right now I have unhooked both wires to the battery and let sit about 5 minutes. After typing this, I'm going back out, reconnecting, and seeing if that fixed it. If this is not the correct reset procedure, do you know what might be??

Thanks!!

Ok, I went out reconnected both wires to the battery, wouldn't turn over, just click, click, click sound. I wonder if this means the batter is too far drained. The indicator lights in the interior still illuminate, though. I don't know if I need to find the correct way to reset the electrical system or try to jump it off?? Or something else??

Thanks.

Did you disconnect the neg. battery terminal before you started ? If so make sure the battery contact is clean and tight.

I did not. Woops!! Is there a reset procedure? Right now I have unhooked both wires to the battery and let sit about 5 minutes. After typing this, I'm going back out, reconnecting, and seeing if that fixed it. If this is not the correct reset procedure, do you know what might be??

Thanks!!

Ok, I went out reconnected both wires to the battery, wouldn't turn over, just click, click, click sound. I wonder if this means the batter is too far drained. The indicator lights in the interior still illuminate, though. I don't know if I need to find the correct way to reset the electrical system or try to jump it off?? Or something else??

Thanks.

Could be the battery is drained :huh::unsure:

Thanks!!

Thanks.

Could be the battery is drained :huh::unsure:

Seems to be working now after unhooking both battery wires for 5 minutes, then jumping off. I'm about to take it on an hour and 15 minute drive, so hopefully that's it and it will simply recharge the battery. Thanks!