About To Get 2001 Gs 300

Looks like I’m about to get a 2001 GS 300.

Two things:

1) What Should I look for (Know issues)

2) What upcoming scheduled maintenance items should I be bugeting for?

Thanks ahead of time.

Oh – where can I find the service schedule for this model?

Adam,

I just bought a 2000 GS400 and here are some of things that I've had to replace. My car has 98000 miles on it so some of this is dependent on mileage.

1. Timing Belt and Water Pump: Cost me $600 at my local mechanic but would have been $900+ at the dealer

2. Spark Plugs: I just bought some NGK laser iridiums (4589) for $60. I'm gonna put them in myself

3. I had to replace my hood release cable. I've read on the 4m that a lot of 2nd generation GS's have issues with hood release cables seizing up and needing to be replaced. The cable was only $30 but the installation was $80.

Other than the air filter, oil change, transmission flush, and other small maintenance things, the car has been awesome!

Hope this helps, bro.

Andy

Adam,

I just bought a 2000 GS400 and here are some of things that I've had to replace. My car has 98000 miles on it so some of this is dependent on mileage.

1. Timing Belt and Water Pump: Cost me $600 at my local mechanic but would have been $900+ at the dealer

2. Spark Plugs: I just bought some NGK laser iridiums (4589) for $60. I'm gonna put them in myself

3. I had to replace my hood release cable. I've read on the 4m that a lot of 2nd generation GS's have issues with hood release cables seizing up and needing to be replaced. The cable was only $30 but the installation was $80.

Other than the air filter, oil change, transmission flush, and other small maintenance things, the car has been awesome!

Hope this helps, bro.

Andy

Thanks - will keep an eye out for those things - especially the cable !

Adam,

Hope this helps, bro.

Andy

I'll second the hood release cable, had that problem last summer, very annoying to deal with. Everything else seems like regular maintenance, but what is this about the water pump? My car is about to tick off 140k miles, and when I get the inspection renewed this month I've got a long list of things I want looked at.