Something I Never Noticed About Asl (on The Audio System)

On my radio display, there is the 'ASL' symbol in the lower right corner when ASL is on. I noticed for the first time that there is a little 'signal bar' type display (like for battery or signal strength on a cell phone for example) just below the ASL symbol. As you drive faster, bars get added and get progressively higher to correspond to the amount of volume and tone boosting going on. When you slow down, the bars drop off. Kind of neat, and weird that I'd never noticed it before tonight (probably because I'm usually watching the road, but the wife was driving tonight)

Speaking of tone boosting...

I read with interest this post

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...amp;mode=linear

because I've noticed that when I turn the ASL off, the tone goes for a dump. It turns out that the ASL does indeed adjust volume AND tone. Pretty advanced, say compared to the SSV (speed sensitive volume) in GM products which only boost the volume.

I also noticed that the higher you turn the volume, the less the ASL boosts the tone and volume, as indicated by the indicator bars.

I believe GM's been including the volume boost for more than 13 years now. I have it in my 01. However, it may not mean much if the tone is changed in a sportscar that doesn't have much insulation in it. Now a luxury vehicle - makes alot of sense.