98ls-power Steering-reservoir ?

Dan in NC

On my 98 LS

210000 mi

Being told by independent that I need to replace the reservoir when replacing PS Pump.

Yes or No...anyone?

Has had up to date maintenance. No drip or apparent other leaks.

At cold start...the loud moan when pressure applied. Diminishes to near 0 when

warm. This morning, at 15F, belt squeal and slight smell too. Time for a pump, I suppose.

Any other advice welcome. Thanks,

I've never heard of the need to replace the reservoir but there is a mesh screen at the bottom of it that should be cleaned and ensure a new O ring is fitted to the outlet port of the pump where it fits onto the pump.

These pumps can be rebuilt Lexus supply a "gasket kit" containing all the required parts except the bearing which is available separately

I've never heard of the need to replace the reservoir but there is a mesh screen at the bottom of it that should be cleaned and ensure a new O ring is fitted to the outlet port of the pump where it fits onto the pump.

These pumps can be rebuilt Lexus supply a "gasket kit" containing all the required parts except the bearing which is available separately

Dan, I assume your fluid level is ok, or where it should be. My pump would make the noise when it was low on fluid, but quit when its up around the cold/hot level. These systems can be a pain, but I would not throw in the towel just yet on your pump. I had to replace my pump last year because it was leaking and got worse, I had to keep putting in fluid and it just got to the point of being rediculous. Anyway, it's been REAL cold ALL OVER since the week before Christmas. Where is Al Gore when you need him? Bring on your Global Warming... Anyway, This weather is VERY HARD on vehicles, all the fluids and everything else. So if you can hold off on getting a new pump and wait until the weather gets back to normal. I would check out all the other things with the ps system. I have no idea why you need to replace the reservoir? My re-built pump did not come with one, and I used my old one. I had to take my reservoir apart because the screen in it was shot. I cleaned all the old screen out of it and put it back together and have not had a problem with it. Good Luck