Blinking A/c Light

sanstoetter

I have a 94' LS400 with about 188,000 miles, and my A/C is giving me some trouble. I bought the car about 2 months ago, and the problem started about 3 weeks in, and up till that point the A/C worked flawlessly. I'm more of an engine/suspension mechanic, never had a car that needed A/c work up to this point (most were performance oriented w/out A/C), and I have no idea how to diagnose the issue. The only thing that I can say for sure is that when I cut it on the light stays constant, and I can for sure feel the compressor kick on. Then ~5-10 sec. later the compressor clutch lets go, and the light blinks. If anyone has any insight on what I should check, or can tell me how to check if I need to just refill the R134. I know that the compressor is a common problem, but I'd rather not replace that if I don't know 100% its the problem considering it'll be at least $500 to replace that.

I have a 94' LS400 with about 188,000 miles, and my A/C is giving me some trouble. I bought the car about 2 months ago, and the problem started about 3 weeks in, and up till that point the A/C worked flawlessly. I'm more of an engine/suspension mechanic, never had a car that needed A/c work up to this point (most were performance oriented w/out A/C), and I have no idea how to diagnose the issue. The only thing that I can say for sure is that when I cut it on the light stays constant, and I can for sure feel the compressor kick on. Then ~5-10 sec. later the compressor clutch lets go, and the light blinks. If anyone has any insight on what I should check, or can tell me how to check if I need to just refill the R134. I know that the compressor is a common problem, but I'd rather not replace that if I don't know 100% its the problem considering it'll be at least $500 to replace that.

I seem to recall someone having a problem with low refrigerant a while back and they system cut out due to a pressure safety switch. Maybe all you have is low refrigerant and the system is cutting out to protect the compressor from damage.

Well it looks like I need a compressor... Anyone know of a good reman. unit, or does everyone go oem? I had my girlfriend turn the a/c on while I had the r134 hooked up, but as soon as she turned it on I heard some squeeling/grinding, and started smelling smoke.