Open Door Warning Light Is Never On

unccs

I just noticed that the open door warning light on my 2000 RX 300 is never on even the vehicle doors are actually open. This is quiet dangerous.

Is it fixable by myself? Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

It's most likely that the bulb which illuminates that icon on the gauge cluster is burned out.

If you remove the gauge cluster, you can gain access to the bulb from the back of the cluster. You can purchase a new bulb from Lexus for pretty cheap.

It's most likely that the bulb which illuminates that icon on the gauge cluster is burned out.

If you remove the gauge cluster, you can gain access to the bulb from the back of the cluster. You can purchase a new bulb from Lexus for pretty cheap.

Thanks. Is it hard to remove the gauge cluster? I found a diagram for the instrument panel of RX300. There is only one bulb there in the diagram. The other warning lights are working properly. Does it have one bulb for each warning or one for all of them?

Jason

It's fairly simple to remove the cluster, only requires a philips screwdriver and flat-head screwdriver. I did it about a hundred times on my old Rx300 working on various cluster projects, so here's the how-to from memory :)

You first need to move the steering wheel to the lowest position.

Then you will need to pry out the two plastic dash panels adjacent to the steering wheel column (the right one surrounding the ignition spot, and the left one that contains the security and seat memory buttons) with a flat-head screwdriver. They're just held in place with clips, so just pry out until they come. You can unplug the plugs that feed the memory seat, mirror controls and security light if you want, it may give you more elbow room (but is not needed).

Next you will need to remove the two philips head screws holding the black bezel to the dash upper dash. You'll need a short screwdriver as a long one will get in the way. A screwdriver less than 4" in total length will fit.

16786757.jpg

At this point, the black bezel still won't move, as it's also held in by two clips on the lower left and right. You will need to pry out the black bezel with a flathead screwdriver (or you could try pulling by hand). Then pull the bezel towards you a little, and unplug the plug leading to the dimmer switch. Just press the little tab at the top while pulling, and it will come out.

10197868.jpg

Now, you can remove the black bezel, just pull the top down and towards the front, and slide it out of the area- i remember it was a tight fit, so just take your time. It'll seem impossible, but it is :)

Now you will be facing the cluster, and be able to see the three screws holding it to the dash frame. There should be one screw at the bottom left and bottom right, and one at the top.

Remove the philips screw at the top first. The other are tricky since they're so deep. Take your time removing these two, because as soon as they're out, they'll want to fall into the annex of the dash. You might need a pair of thin fingers to reach in there and take the screws out once they're un-screwed :)

Now the cluster will be free. You'll need to flip the bottom of the cluster upwards, and then pull the cluster out a few inches. The wires that lead to the back of the cluster are too short, so you'll need to remove the three plugs in the back while the cluster is still in it's cubby area. You'll need to stick your hands behind the cluster blindly and remove the plugs. Just press the little clip at the top of each plug while pulling, and they'll come out. When the three plugs are removed from the back of the cluster, you can freely remove the cluster from the cubby. To remove the cluster from it's cubby, rotate the bottom of the cluster to the top, and slide out. I remember it wouldn't come out facing you... you need to flip it. And no need to remember which plug goes where, as they're all shaped differently so it'll be easy upon re-installation.

When you have the cluster free, you'll need to look at the back of the cluster. At the bottom, you'll notice a row of weird "circular things"- these are the bulb holders (which are attached to the bases of the bulbs). Find which bulb lines up with the "door open" icon, and remove it. Just look at the front side of the cluster and look for the red "door open" icon, make a note to where it is, and find which bulb in that bottom row at the rear lines up with it. Remove the bulb by rotating that base to the left a few degrees until it stops. Then pry it out a little. Then to make sure it is indeed the right bulb, peak into the hole and pull the cluster up to some light, and make sure you see the red "door open" icon.

You'll need to buy a new bulb (attached to the holder) from the dealer, as i don't 'think' the bulb itself can be purchased separately. It shouldn't be more than a few dollars...

Then re-install the bulb by placing the holder in the hole, and rotating this time to the right a few degrees until it stops. And that's it! :)

*** you may also want to switch the "L" bulb with the "D" bulb while you have the cluster out of the car. If it hasn't happened already, sooner or later the "D" for "drive" indicator light will burn out (it's a common problem with these clusters). For this, you'll need to remove the white backing on the rear of the cluster (with the several philips screws) to gain access to these bulbs. If i remember correctly, the bulb holders for the P-R-N-D-2-L icons are 'flat' meaning you can't pull them out with your hands. You'll need to use a flat-head screwdriver to rotate the bub to the left a little, then pry out. I would just "switch" the D and L bulbs rather than buying a new one. Since you hardly ever use L, it won't blow out... The bulbs for the P-R-N-D-2-L icons is a different size from the 'door open' bulbs, so keep that in mind.

Before you put the cluster back into the car, you need to make sure the needles for the tach, speedo and temp and gas gauges are at their lowest position. When playing with the cluster, the needles "freely" move around the dials. If one or some of the needles aren't in their lowest position, just move the cluster around until they move back to their lowest positions. You don't need to remove the cluster lens at all.

As soon as you're done, you can re-install the cluster the same way as you took it apart, in reverse order. If you want, you can fire up the car once you've got the cluster plugged back in, just to make sure everything is indeed working. Once you've confirmed it's working, you can put in the three screws that hold the cluster to the frame. For putting in the screws to the right and left of the cluster, try masking-taping the screws to the tip of the screwdriver, and guiding them into their holes until they're secured for tightening. It's hard to get the screws in their place without them falling down into the annex... Once the screws are tightly secured, just pull on the screwdriver and leave the masking tape on the screws...

Then install the black bezel (making sure to re-attach the plug to the dimmer switch) and clip it to the dash securely, then install the two surround panels, and you're complete! :)

I hope this helps! It's all from memory, but it should help :) If you need any more help, just ask :D