Any Advice On Brake Disc Change And Transmission Oil Change

Hi All,

My wife's 2007 350 Rx has finally hit 70,000 miles. I would like to change the brake disc and pads. I've never done it before but have heard that it is really not very hard with the right tools. I'm considering rotors from Rotara, or a company that makes drilled/slotted disc from rotorworks with Posi quiet brake pads. Does anyone in this forum have a DIY PDF for changing the brakes and transmission oil filter for this vehicle? Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

My wife's 2007 350 Rx has finally hit 70,000 miles. I would like to change the brake disc and pads. I've never done it before but have heard that it is really not very hard with the right tools. I'm considering rotors from Rotara, or a company that makes drilled/slotted disc from rotorworks with Posi quiet brake pads. Does anyone in this forum have a DIY PDF for changing the brakes and transmission oil filter for this vehicle? Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know about a "DIY PDF", but, as a LONG TIME DIY'er when it comes to my vehicles, I suggest you buy either a Haynes shop manual for your particular vehicle (if available) or the Factory Lexus service manual(s). They (the factory manuals) may cost a few hundred $$ but will quickly pay for themselves. The Haynes manuals can be bought at most auto parts stores like Advance or Auto Zone - usually less than $30.

Get the appropriate maintenance manual, ensure you have the necessary tools, take your time and you'll save yourself a BOAT LOAD of money over letting a dealership do it.

Buy the manual first, read over the particular procedures, making note of any needed tools/supplies...then make the decision if it's within your abilities..if it is...then I say, go for it!

Brakes are pretty simple, at least as far as pads/shoes and rotor/drum replacement.

The right tools???? You barely need any tools for a brake job. Really! Rotors basically fall off the car as soon as you rotate the caliper out of the way. Pads come out of the calipers with next to no effort. I was astounded at how simple a "brake job" is on these cars. Anyone charging $300 for this job is ripping someone off. Personally, I don't send rotors to the lathe unless they show visible "trouble," or are out of parallel and I don't even check that unless I feel modulation in the steering wheel or chassis on brake application. There is no reason to fix something that isn't broken. The only two special tools you need (other than some box wrenches, sockets, ratchets) is a large C-clamp and half-inch thick block of wood (1/2x4x6) to retract pistons in the caliper. Due read up on "bedding brake pads" on the internet to learn how you should break-in your brakes.