'95, Hard Shift Into Drive

mr.ajandkj

Noticed on my '95 it shifts hard into drive, all shifts when driving are smooth as butter, as they should be.

When I say shifts hard, i mean the car jumps when put into drive from park, neutral, etc. Bad tranny mount, time for fluid flush? The fluid flush will happen, as this car is new to me with 157k miles. Fluid still looks decent, but want to do it anyway.

At this moment, I would say check the transmission mount, then engine mounts. The trans mount seems to be a common complaint. The rubber deteriorates and compresses over time, changing the drive train angles, which in turn throws the drive shafts out of kilter. Use the search feature for trans mount discussions. I'm replacing my trans mount next weekend.

Yeah, the transmission mount is very easy to change and inexpensive... only about $60 for an OEM one from certain places.

The motor mounts are a totally different story, as they are about $90 each and more like what, 3 hours to change? <_< My LS is in dire need of motor mounts, but when you are poor, you make due with what you have. Maybe one of these days. ;)

Does it happen all the time? Only when engine is hot? Only when cold?

All the time, 'lurch' is slightly lessened when engine warm, as it's at ~800 RPM vs. ~1600.

Your tranny mounts may need replacing, but high revs are likely the reason for the tranny jumping into gear. An engine at operating temps should be idling at ~650 rpm. Check your throttle cable - may be sticking or need adjustment. If the shifts are smooth once you're under way, you fluid level is likely fine (check anyway). Also make sure you use your pkg brake if your on an incline, otherwise this would also cause your symptoms.