Toyota 0w20

Lemon,

Do you know what its viscosity is at 100 degrees C in CST? I use Castrol GTX with a viscosity of 10.8 CST at that temperature. Typically, a 5W-20 oil would have a lower viscosity at this temperature and since my manual recommends 5W-30, that's what I use.

Thanks,

Dave

I had it tested at two labs, as I thought the original lab made a mistake in the Visc@100c. I also had it tested twice at the original lab.

Results were - lab #1 - Visc@100c - 9.7 or 9.3 (on the retest)

- lab #2 - Visc@100c - 8.85

The stats per Toyota are:

Kinematic Viscosity at 40C: 39.3

Kinematic Viscosity at 100C: 8.8

Flash Point: Over 200C

Viscosity Index: 214

That's a smokin' Viscosity Index by the way.

Lemon,

Do you know what its viscosity is at 100 degrees C in CST? I use Castrol GTX with a viscosity of 10.8 CST at that temperature. Typically, a 5W-20 oil would have a lower viscosity at this temperature and since my manual recommends 5W-30, that's what I use.

Thanks,

Dave

The manual spec's 5w30, but there was a 2006 TSB ok'ing 5w20. Since then 0w20 has been the specified motor oil. (check owner's manual for the 2008 online at lexus.com or click here https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...l&locale=en

I bought a case of 0w20 at a Toyota dealer here in Canada for roughly $5 a litre, which is a GREAT price for what this oil appears to be. While at the dealer, the parts manager showed me an internal Toyota bulletin confirming that the 0w20 is a full synthetic, and also listing a number of engines (ours included) that were back spec'd to run 0w20. The bulletin went on confirming that in the near future, 0w20 would be the only oil spec'd for all Toyota/Lexus vehicles.

I guess in Canada, there's no need to be concerned about having a lower viscosity at 100C, but folks who live in very warm climates (Arizona, Nevada) may be better off with a high-temp viscosity that is higher than 9.3 CST. Porsche factory-fills many of their vehicles with 0W-40 synthetic. Perhaps their 6 cylinder engines run hotter than ours, but nonetheless, I am a bit nervous about using a low viscosity oil, even here in San Diego.

I guess in Canada, there's no need to be concerned about having a lower viscosity at 100C, but folks who live in very warm climates (Arizona, Nevada) may be better off with a high-temp viscosity that is higher than 9.3 CST. Porsche factory-fills many of their vehicles with 0W-40 synthetic. Perhaps their 6 cylinder engines run hotter than ours, but nonetheless, I am a bit nervous about using a low viscosity oil, even here in San Diego.

I can understand that, but I don't believe that Toyota would back spec a 20 weight for their engines without having fully researched it. Also, like I mentioned. Toyota is spec'ing 0w20 for the 2008 400h, and I doubt the engine in the '08 is markedly different than the engine in our 06's.

Honda and Ford have been spec'ing 20 weights for their engines for several years now, and there are no reports of mass engine failures. There are several good UOAs on engines running 20 weights at bobistheoilguy.com