A Random Test On The Highway Mpg For Ls430

happy rider

Just out of curiocity, I did a random test to figure out how high a 04 Ls430 could reach up to through a round trip of approx. 300 miles.

It was a round trip between here and here, about 298mi according to trip computer, and tank refuel showed 10.857 gal used for this 298mi round trip with 24 hours.

Cruise control was used but disengauged during the uphill climbing in order to prevent long time high rpm activities. A crusing speed of 65-67mph was usinged during the "to trip" and a crusing speed of 60mph was used during the "back trip"

about 5 -10 miles of local traffic ride incurred during the round trip, there are wind factors involved. Windows were all up, moon roof was opened.

The result:

The calculated mpg was 26.1 according to the trip computer, however, the calculated mpg according to the trip and gas refeul was 27.59mpg.

I also noticed that the baby can run at quite a high mpg while crusing at 60mpg.

I'm very pleased about the result knowing it is a 8 cyl. monster.

Hope this helps

Last, a picture of my 04 ls 430

IMG_1600.jpgIMG_1600.jpg

Those LSs are indeed terrific - roomy, comfortable, smooth, powerful and economical. Your mpg test confirms the range most LSs get and also reveals how one drives is important with any car to maximize mpg. By keeping to the speed limit and anticipating slows and stops anyone can improve mpg. Enjoy your LS.

Engine (ECU) reported mpg has to be a bit suspect due to accuracy of measuring the fuel metering. Gas pumps on the other had are reasonably accurate and need to be certified for accuracy annually by state agencies.

I would think the old miles traveled divided by fuel used is the most accurate measure. The longer the trip the better.

I agree for a pretty hefty 8 cylinder in a very heavy car these vehicles have great MPG.

Engine (ECU) reported mpg has to be a bit suspect due to accuracy of measuring the fuel metering. Gas pumps on the other had are reasonably accurate and need to be certified for accuracy annually by state agencies.

I would think the old miles traveled divided by fuel used is the most accurate measure. The longer the trip the better.

I agree for a pretty hefty 8 cylinder in a very heavy car these vehicles have great MPG.

You don't think the engine computer knows EXACTLY how much gas is going into the engine? :P :lol:

What is this? 1970?

I agree, the gas mileage is not bad for such a large car. But then again, it is pretty lightweight by luxury car standards! Lexus did a good job!

You don't think the engine computer knows EXACTLY how much gas is going into the engine? :P :lol:

Actually the ECU does not need absolute accuracy to meter fuel. Once the car is warmed up it reverts to closed loop mode where O2 sensor feedback is used to trim the fuel mix. Sure it has to have some knowledge of injector duty cycle to fuel delivery but the feedback loop trims out any errors. Thats how closed loop system work in general. It was the old fashioned carburators that were open loop.