Air Gasping, Coming From The Air Condition Filter Compartment

Having read all the posts concerning GS models (06-09), the only trustworthy and reliable source is our forum for our Lexus passion. Having solved most of my answers in both hybrid and non-hybrid section for my GS 450h, I would like to share with you, my problem that has not come up to anyone so far and has triggered my mind for the last 5 months.

I would like to mention, that the Lexus Plant in Greece, and I say PLANT, as it is the headquarters of the Balkan Area (I have stopped talking with authorized dealers), have not resolved it yet…

Last May, I had to change my windshield. After the replacement, I was hearing a noise in the front passenger side, just after I was exceeding 100 Km/h which is around 62 miles/h.

As I do not want to waste your time reading the whole story which it will take me to write at least a day, after visiting my authorized dealer 12 times, I persuaded them to replace the windshield again as we thought that is was not sealed properly the first time, however, nothing changed even with the second replacement. From then on, I was only visiting the service station of Lexus plant, in Athens, looking to solve the problem.

By myself, I realized, that the noise occurred after exceeding 60 miles/h only when the AIR-CONDITION was OFF or it was on the RECIRCULATED MODE. When I pressed the button for the OUTSIDE MODE, no gasping air noise was coming from the air condition filter compartment.

The experts… say that they cannot understand what is going on, as everything seems to be ok.

Have you got any ideas of what is it?

Last but not least, in the beginning I thought that it had to do with the Top Ventilation Cowl, which I replaced but…. Nothing changed.

I would really appreciate your feedback.

My guess is that a servo motor is not opening the damper that allows air to flow from your car's interior into the HVAC system when the HVAC system is in recirculation mode. Here is a diagram for the GS450h sold in Europe but it is not very detailed: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2007_LEXU...EXQHW_8714.html

I enjoy visiting car dealerships when travelling outside the US. I remember looking for a Lexus dealership in Athens in about 1998 and being surprised when I was told at a Toyota dealership that the Lexus brand had not yet been introduced in Greece.

My guess is that a servo motor is not opening the damper that allows air to flow from your car's interior into the HVAC system when the HVAC system is in recirculation mode. Here is a diagram for the GS450h sold in Europe but it is not very detailed: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2007_LEXU...EXQHW_8714.html

I enjoy visiting car dealerships when travelling outside the US. I remember looking for a Lexus dealership in Athens in about 1998 and being surprised when I was told at a Toyota dealership that the Lexus brand had not yet been introduced in Greece.

Thank you so much for your feedback. i hope they wont't tell me that I have to change the whole HVAC system... they won't know how to reassebly it! When i came back from UK with my Lexus in '99, people believed that L stands for Lambo... and now we talking about the one servo motor named 87106L... ok... i will keep you posted!

• 3 months later...

Problem solved. Solution found.

The door that closes and opens for the “motor sub-assy, cooling unit” (w/fan), when you circulate or press the pollen removal mode, had become loose and the air from outside, was gasping through it into the car’s cabin.

This was caused, as I used to press the pollen removal mode a lot.

The guys from the service told me that this has been appeared to other GS’s as well, but nobody ever complained about it. (They drove the three test drive cars they had and two other from customers they had been left for service).

Their advice was to stop using the AUTO mode and the pollen removal mode a lot, as it will be occurred again.

I won’t make any further comments, but after 9 months, at least it was proved that I am not crazy… as they insisted…