Possible 2004 Ls 430 Purchase

2krazykats

Hey everyone - I've been reading this forum for a few weeks - it's been an eye opener for sure! ;)

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying a 2004 LS 430. I don't know what package is on it but it's not the UL because it doesn't have the air suspension everyone's had to replace which is good. Of the listed "options" (beyond the standard), it has climate controlled front seats, cooled front seats, front/rear parking sensors, heated driver/passenger seat, and maybe hangs-free remote w/keyless option (not sure what that looks like as opposed to a normal remote key).

The dealer is asking $21490 and it has 62000 miles on it. It has had 2 previous owners.

We're in Colorado so I am concerned how it would do in the snow but I've read people have put Blizzak tires and had no problems (we can't be the only people who have snow!).

I will take it to a Lexus mechanic to have it inspected before buying but barring any unforeseen mechanical issues, does this seem like a good price?

Edmunds andj KBB are all over the place. And I hate paying the asking price since I feel like I am getting sc**ed over! :unsure:

Thanks for any opinion you have.

Hey everyone - I've been reading this forum for a few weeks - it's been an eye opener for sure! ;)

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying a 2004 LS 430. I don't know what package is on it but it's not the UL because it doesn't have the air suspension everyone's had to replace which is good. Of the listed "options" (beyond the standard), it has climate controlled front seats, cooled front seats, front/rear parking sensors, heated driver/passenger seat, and maybe hangs-free remote w/keyless option (not sure what that looks like as opposed to a normal remote key).

The dealer is asking $21490 and it has 62000 miles on it. It has had 2 previous owners.

We're in Colorado so I am concerned how it would do in the snow but I've read people have put Blizzak tires and had no problems (we can't be the only people who have snow!).

I will take it to a Lexus mechanic to have it inspected before buying but barring any unforeseen mechanical issues, does this seem like a good price?

Edmunds andj KBB are all over the place. And I hate paying the asking price since I feel like I am getting sc**ed over! :unsure:

Well I found a page with many Lexus sale numbers (sort by year):

http://www.usedcarsplus.com/usedcars/11-us...s430/index.html

You can get some decent information by adding "2004 LS 430 sale" in a Google or other search engine.

No need to rush things, it often leads to regret from my experience.

On the mechanic note, I just bought a 2000 LS 400, which I took to a Lexus dealer before hand. The VSC light was on and the "20 year vet" said that it was 95% likely that I would need 2300$ worth of repairs done to have it fixed (he checked some wiring and came to this conclusion). I later found out that the vsc light was on because the battery had been replaced, and it needed a reset was all.

The Service manager recommended that I change a leaking transmission seal @ 300$. Well I've had the car in my driveway a week now, the fluid level is fine and there is not a drop or speck on my driveway to date.

Now this isn't conclusive but If I had to do it again I would go to a mechanic I know better.

LakeLex - appreciate your feedback.

I don't know of a trusted mechanic for Lexus - I have an Acura that I've had superb reliability with for 11 years. Even though the dealership is giving us a 30 day warranty, I'm going to take it to an independent shop and have them look at it. I figure they will try and do a good job if they want to have my service in the future.

I also found some interesting data on Edmunds (it was well hidden!) about Resale values that gives a good range of number.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/lexus/ls4...salevalues.html

It looks like based on those numbers, this car's price is pretty good. Just have to pass the inspection!

Seems a little high for an 04 but mileage is good Is it Lexus certified? - I would think you should be able to find a nice certified model for under 20K.