Power Door Lock Actuator

fblonk

Hi,

I have a 1998 LS with a Driver's door lock problem. The motor inside the actuator is worn (brushes) and inop. I dissasembled the door, removed the lock assembly from the door, dissasembled the lock and opened the actuator. I have read the posts about the GS door lock problem and rebuilding the actuator by replacing the motor. I ordered the motor (Mabuchi FC 280PT - 22125) and they are not the same. I went as far as opening the motors and trying to swap brushes (in the problem motor they are almost gone) but no dice. They are not the same. I have scoured the internet for info, or a motor number (no markings on the case of the problem motor). I know that I am going pretty deep, but the part is over $300 from lexus, and the motor should be under $10. Big difference, I don't mind tooling to fix the rare problem that I have with this car.

I should have taken a picture, but didn't think of this until all reassembled.

The differences in the motor are as follows:

The problem motor

connections are soldered, (no biggie)

but the motor has posts to solder to

The ordered motor

Modular (plug type receptical in motor case that plugs into motor, motor side like an a/c recepticle)

Brushes are different in shape and length

Shaft is thicker in problem motor

Problem motor has drive gear pressed on

I believe that the motor itself is fine, and a new set of brushes will fix it.

Any one who has gone this far and found motors or a place to find brushes please reply. Would an R/C shop be able to help?

Also if you know that motors are the same in all 4 doors, let me know.

I would like to avoid a boneyard motor or lock assembly, you never know how long they will last, but this may be my only option. If the motor in the actuators are the same, I would grab a rear door actuator motor as it will have less use (1 push on fob, vs 2 pushes on fob when unlocking).

Thanks,

Fblonk