Recall Regarding Mats/accelerator

peteanello

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to a LA Times article from 10/18/09.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyo...2642,full.story

It states: One possible remedy is to redesign the accelerator pedal to make it harder to get caught by a floor mat, he said. Another potential fix, he said, involves reprogramming the engine's computer to automatically cut power when a driver brakes while the gas pedal is depressed.

I still don't think redesiging the floor mats is the solution because 10 years from now someone buying the vehicle (used) could potentially install a type of floor mat that could duplicate the problem.

My new 2010 ES350 has the front drivers carpet attached to the bottom carpet with those plastic ties like holds new socks together. I cut them off so I can remove the carpet for cleaning.

Here is a link to a LA Times article from 10/18/09.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyo...2642,full.story

It states: One possible remedy is to redesign the accelerator pedal to make it harder to get caught by a floor mat, he said. Another potential fix, he said, involves reprogramming the engine's computer to automatically cut power when a driver brakes while the gas pedal is depressed.

I still don't think redesiging the floor mats is the solution because 10 years from now someone buying the vehicle (used) could potentially install a type of floor mat that could duplicate the problem.

My new 2010 ES350 has the front drivers carpet attached to the bottom carpet with those plastic ties like holds new socks together. I cut them off so I can remove the carpet for cleaning.

I just had my 10k Service and the service writer told me that the initial temporary fix was to attach the mats to the seat frames with plastic zip ties. Then I guess they decided against it. The dealer left my drivers mat in the car just like it was. They just made sure it was installed correctly.

He said another temporary fix would be coming in a few months. They are going to shorten the accelerator pedal.

Then a few months later they will have a permanent fix for the accelerator pedal and they will remove some of the sound profing material beneath the carpet and replace it with a thinner material. I guess this will allow more space between the pedal and the floor.