"delay" In Reaction Of Plugging Idle-up Valve? Strange.

90LS400Lexus

Most know I recently plugged the idle-up valve on the power steering pump of my car. I didnt notice ANY change whatsoever in doing this as far as the feel of the steering went. I was told that it would be harder to turn when at a stop or low RPMS, but this didnt happen... it still turned so easily. It was like this for about 2 weeks/400 miles. Today was a different story. I had a dentist appt and wanted to take the Lex, so around 1:50 I started the car and let it run for about 30 seconds and placed it in drive and started out only to discover that the steering wheel was rather hard to turn. Fluid was checked and its still full and there were no noises, growls, etc. Once on the road, it basically steered as normal and once completely warmed up to normal operating temperature it was easier to steer at lower speeds, but was still noticably harder to turn.

I am sure this may be normal since its plugged now, but wondering if it being quite that hard to turn is normal and why would it take it almost 2 weeks before it started doing this after the idle-up was plugged? I still have that steering shudder/vibration and shake on certain low speed/low rpm turns.. I am sure that the screens need to be cleaned, so dont know if thats part of this entire issue or not... or if the pump itself is just shot to heck.

I must say I HATE the power steering system on this car. Absolutely hate it. :angry:

Not sure but idle up valve has no function at driving speeds. Just something for parking and near standstill speeds. You seem to have a more general problem. Since fluid hasn't leaked out could it be you've used the wrong PS fluid type? Or is it just a cold day that it didn't work well (and later warmed up).

Not sure but idle up valve has no function at driving speeds. Just something for parking and near standstill speeds. You seem to have a more general problem. Since fluid hasn't leaked out could it be you've used the wrong PS fluid type? Or is it just a cold day that it didn't work well (and later warmed up).

Thanks... well thats what I thought, but now it turns very easy again, even when stopped and at idle. It was only yesterday that it was hard to turn... most all day. I didnt let the car run for more than 30 seconds though before I started out because I was running late for a dentist appt. I normally wait until the initial idle-up goes down after the engine warms up before I take off. It was not cold yesterday... it was in the 70s and in the 70s when I left... steering was stiff and stayed that way, but did loosen up some when the car warmed up. This morning, it was 57°, I let the car run for 90 seconds before turning the wheel and it was fine... EASY to turn all day and at that moment.

I am using Dexron automatic transmission fluid... isnt that correct for this car? Right, still no leaks.... for that, I am thankful. First time in Lord knows how many years its not leaked.

I am having a similar issue with my PS. On a cold sart sometimes my PS doesn't seem to work at all, but after one or two turns it is perfectly normal. Sometimes it only works partialy, and yet sometimes it's perfect. My PS pump is starting to whine more and more though. No leaks, thank goodness. Knock on wood. Anyone have any answers?

I am having a similar issue with my PS. On a cold sart sometimes my PS doesn't seem to work at all, but after one or two turns it is perfectly normal. Sometimes it only works partialy, and yet sometimes it's perfect. My PS pump is starting to whine more and more though. No leaks, thank goodness. Knock on wood. Anyone have any answers?

Yeah, its strange for sure. Mine has not done it since. I have been out of town for a few days, driving a 2010 Camry (which I hated) and the LS set for 3 days. Came back, started it and the PS is fine. :huh: