1997 Ls400 Idle Surging

jtbel

Hello, I finished installing a new starter, and I took off the lower egr pipe and added block off plates instead. I had tried to clean out the throttle body and upper and lower chambers as best I could. The car ran great before this, there was just a slight exhaust leak, probably from the egr pipe. Anyway, the car starts up just fine now, but the idle is surging back and forth from about 1200-1800 rpm. By the way, there is now a coolant leak that I have to take care of. What could be causing the surging? Did I mess something up when cleaning the throttle body? I am not getting a cel. I appreciate any help.

Hello, I finished installing a new starter, and I took off the lower egr pipe and added block off plates instead. I had tried to clean out the throttle body and upper and lower chambers as best I could. The car ran great before this, there was just a slight exhaust leak, probably from the egr pipe. Anyway, the car starts up just fine now, but the idle is surging back and forth from about 1200-1800 rpm. By the way, there is now a coolant leak that I have to take care of. What could be causing the surging? Did I mess something up when cleaning the throttle body? I am not getting a cel. I appreciate any help.

Well an intake vacuum leak could create problems with idling. Since you did starter did you use new manifold gaskets and proper sealant when you reassembled? There are procedures to sniff out a vacuum leak. One is to run an unlit propane torch (with just a little flow of propane gas) around edge of manifold and if propane gets sucked in a leak motor with surge to higher rpm for a moment. Obviously need to do this outdoors and be careful if using this method.

If there isn’t a manifold vacuum leak and you are sure the throttle body is clean and closing properly then I would look to inspect and clean the IACV. I suppose a cleaned throttle body would mean more air has to pass through IACV now to maintain idle and maybe is stressing it in new ways.

Thanks for the response! Yes, I did use new gaskets and sealant. I used a lot of water to clean the throttle body, maybe I'll look at cleaning the sensors that are on the throttle body. There is the tps and can you help me with the iacv. Maybe a picture so I could tell which is which? Thanks

Thanks for the response! Yes, I did use new gaskets and sealant. I used a lot of water to clean the throttle body, maybe I'll look at cleaning the sensors that are on the throttle body. There is the tps and can you help me with the iacv. Maybe a picture so I could tell which is which? Thanks

IACV is similar cleaning procedure as throttle body. A can of throttle plate cleaner or carb cleaner, some smaller brushes, flat srewdriver, small putty knife and so on. Mostly elbow grease is required and a bit of time. Heres a photo of an IACV attached to engine.....

post-88814-1254868776_thumb.jpg

I'm not recognizing that part. Is that a different year model? Mine is '97. I am taking off the throttle body and the chambers in an attempt to fix the coolant leak. I will be using new gaskets and high temp sealer when installing everything. The tps does'nt look like there is much to it, I don't want to take it off because it has not been disturbed. On the right side of the top chamber looks to be the egr valve ( does this need to be disconnected or anything when deleting the pipe?) On the front of the top chamber there is another valve of some sort. Which one is the iacv?

I'm not recognizing that part. Is that a different year model? Mine is '97. I am taking off the throttle body and the chambers in an attempt to fix the coolant leak. I will be using new gaskets and high temp sealer when installing everything. The tps does'nt look like there is much to it, I don't want to take it off because it has not been disturbed. On the right side of the top chamber looks to be the egr valve ( does this need to be disconnected or anything when deleting the pipe?) On the front of the top chamber there is another valve of some sort. Which one is the iacv?

Maybe this is better. Look at part 22270 at this page:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1997_LEXU...EPGKK_2211.html

There may be some helpful info here as well:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/

Well, I finished reinstalling the upper and lower chambers along with the throttle body. I used all new gaskets and sealant. It is still doing the surging. I really don't think it is a leak of some sort, now that it has been done twice. Also, this time when I first started it, the car did not surge at first. It started normally for a few seconds, and then started surging again. If there is no leak, what could be making the car surge? I am not getting a cel. I really need to get it fixed. Does anybody have some close up engine pics of a '97, I want to double check that I put everything back correctly. Thanks

Well, I finished reinstalling the upper and lower chambers along with the throttle body. I used all new gaskets and sealant. It is still doing the surging. I really don't think it is a leak of some sort, now that it has been done twice. Also, this time when I first started it, the car did not surge at first. It started normally for a few seconds, and then started surging again. If there is no leak, what could be making the car surge? I am not getting a cel. I really need to get it fixed. Does anybody have some close up engine pics of a '97, I want to double check that I put everything back correctly. Thanks

Have you cleaned throttle body and IACV yet? Those are the most likely candidates if you're sure of no vacuum leak.

Yes, I cleaned the throttle body, and have not touched the tps because it is still at factory specs. I sprayed some cleaner into the iacv. If I unscrew the 3 screws at the top of it, the top starts to come off, but does'nt. I can see a spring and a rod inside. Is there a way to take it apart? By the way, I'm assuming it it the part at the front of the upper chamber.

I fixed the problem! There is a sensor of some sort that has a plug on it. It is located on the middle top part of the plastic box that covers a thick wire loom that sits over the rear water bypass or bridge. It is the one that gives you a lot of trouble when you are trying to get to the starter. I was really moving the box backward when I removed the bridge, it must have come unconnected. The car is idling great, and I am not noticing any exhaust leak.

• 2 months later...
I fixed the problem! There is a sensor of some sort that has a plug on it. It is located on the middle top part of the plastic box that covers a thick wire loom that sits over the rear water bypass or bridge. It is the one that gives you a lot of trouble when you are trying to get to the starter. I was really moving the box backward when I removed the bridge, it must have come unconnected. The car is idling great, and I am not noticing any exhaust leak.

Do you know the name of this sensor? I have similar issues on my 98.

Thanks,