Door Window Vertical Molding Piece

frego

Hi gang,

Great website. Incredibly useful info throughout. I am gettting ready to have a total paint job on my 93 SC400. I have a problem with the Door Window Molding Black Vertical Piece at the rear of the window. As with other SC's I have seen, with age the Black on these start to fail. Very expensive to replace with a new part as it is just the part you see of the entire one piece Outer Window Molding which runs about $700 per door.

Not sure what the finish on this vertical panel is. Looks like chrome under the finish, so I don't think painting it as an option. Anybody out there that has refinished these pieces? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Hi gang,

Great website. Incredibly useful info throughout. I am gettting ready to have a total paint job on my 93 SC400. I have a problem with the Door Window Molding Black Vertical Piece at the rear of the window. As with other SC's I have seen, with age the Black on these start to fail. Very expensive to replace with a new part as it is just the part you see of the entire one piece Outer Window Molding which runs about $700 per door.

Not sure what the finish on this vertical panel is. Looks like chrome under the finish, so I don't think painting it as an option. Anybody out there that has refinished these pieces? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On my 95' SC I gave those trim pieces a light sanding with wet/dry sandpaper, masked off windows and body with newspaper and masking tape and spray painted with flat black engine paint....came out looking like new...cost $2.98 and a little time.