Pin Connectors For Headlight

Pamelar

I was told (via my service sheet), that "found pins in connector not fitting properly - secured pins in connector - ok at this time."

This was referring to my left headlight, which would not come on, except when one opened the hood, and wiggled the wires.

I went to pick up my car, (since they called and told me it was fixed), and of course, the headlight would not come on. I told the service dept., they checked it again, and wrote this:

"Customer states left headlight is still not working. Adjusted pin connectors even more. They are badly damaged. Lights are working at this time. If light goes out again, will need wire harness for left front low beam headlamp."

The estimate to do this was over $2,000!

Can one find out which "pin connectors" are "badly damaged" and order them? Or does Lexus make you order the entire wire harness, as was told to me?

I am in contact with an online Lexus parts store, so if I find out I can order the pin connectors, I will know without question, that these people are trying to rip me off.

I was so excited to have a Lexus RX300, but good grief! Over $2,000 for a headlight? I'll take my chances on a ticket.

I'll never buy a Lexus again. I really loved it but I cannot even find a qualified mechanic where I live.

The above was a Toyota dealership. I had previously taken it to a shop closer to where I live, and was told if the headlight didn't stay on, that "you can always stick a candle up there!"

WTH? :o

post-86220-1253976301.gif

Are your headlights the HID version or Halogen version? I'm going to assume HID since the halogen version doesn't have an external harness.

What year is your Rx300? 01-03?

Which area of the harness need to be "wiggled" to cause the flickering (meaning what area is broken)?

When they told you $2000, did they mean for the entire headlight or a harness? The harness is attached to the headlight is that why so high?

I know a lot about the HID Rx300 headlights, i might be able to help if i know what exactly is broken.

What I'll need to do, in order to answer your question about which wires are wiggled, is to go back to Autozone. A guy there fiddled with the wires and it came on in an instant. So he'll be able to tell me, so I can tell you. (I went out there now, but it's dark already - I can't even see what I am doing).

My car is a 2000 RX300.

I don't know if they are Halogen; I'll ask the guy at Autozone.

I assume the $2100 means the whole thing (including labor).

No way in the world would I pay that. They're out of their minds. I think they're trying to rip me off, because my husband isn't with me.

Thanks for offering to help. As soon as I find out the info you need, I'll post it.

Thanks

P.S. What ticked me off, is that they called me and told me that my car was FIXED. They should've told me about this problem before I arrived to pick the car up. Crappy way of doing business, to say the least.

Oh, if yours is a 2000 is must be the halogen type.

On the back of your headlights you'll just see the base of the bulb (low beam) coming out of the back, which plugs into a male plug, attached to a wire going into the darkness of the engine compartment.

I'm going to guess there must be a loose wire that attaches into that male plug which attaches to the back of the bulb.

bulb.gif

bulb2.jpg

You do NOT need a new harness. Toyota or Lexus won't do a harness "repair" (the easiest and most obvious thing to do), they only replace entire parts. That harness is probably 5+ft long, weaving between engine parts, somewhere going through the firewall, i bet it would take HOURS for someone to trace, remove and install an entire new harness...

You just need someone to cut the old female plug off, and splice on a new female plug. It's quite easy to do, you only need a wire cutter and a pliers.

Here's the item you'll need.

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_i...products_id/983

You'll need to do this:

bulb3.jpg

It might be confusing but it's actually a simple procedure.

At least this is what i "think" the problem is...

Pamelar- Welcome to the wacky world of Lexus service. What cduluk showed you is the normal way to repair the problem you have. It would be totally insane to replace the whole wiring harness for that damage. I have installed many of those over the years and the ones we normally used came with a pigtail of wire on the plug and you simply used "butt" connectors to connect them to where you cut the old one off. The only place I disagree with cduluk is that the ends (fittings) have to be crimped to the wires BEFORE they are inserted in the plug. They are not designed for the wires to be inserted and then crimped. That would only destroy the plug and not provide a proper crimp. Hope that helps. :) By the way, anyone who charges you more than $25. for that repair, including the plug is ripping you off. I have some and would do it for free if you were only local, but there are a few miles between Ky. and Ca.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for trying to help. I REALLY appreciate it. I'm so grateful that you would take all this time to help a stranger. I'm due to drive up to my husband's job site soon - I'll send him the link to this thread, and maybe we can get it fixed.

I really do like my car!!! I'd never had a Lexus before, or anything that nice!

The Rx300 is an excellent vehicle, aside from the soft transmission which has plagued a few owners... It's really well built an rides like a dream though. I had an 03, from 05 - earlier this year, loved it.

I wouldn't let this minor issue make you feel any less confident in the Lexus name, it could happen to any car. Has your Rx300 been in an accident before, or has anyone ever removed the front headlights before? Constant use of those plugs could cause a wire to come loose, it's not a big deal as long as it's fixed properly.

Any you can use the crimp method, i recommend it actually. I had switched my old Rx300 front turn signal bulbs to LED's- and in doing so needed to place a load resistor across the + and - wires. Used the crimp method, and they held up perfectly even after 3+ years. And they were outside of the headlight within all the elements. It's the easiest and most efficient way outside of soldering (which can degrade faster). Just make sure to seal the bonds with silicone or electrical tape after you've crimped the wires. <_<