Sunroof Cable Broken

jemas44

The sunroof on my 1994 LS400 wouldn't close (it was stuck with the back edge about a half an inch lower than the front), and when my mechanic contacted the local Lexus shop they told him that it was common for the cable to break, and a piece to get stuck in the tract. After removing the headliner my mechanic found that the plastic piece had broken off the ends of the cables on both sides. Lexus wants $750 for the parts for each side (you can't get just the plastic piece, or the cable--you have to get the guide rail, too.)

At oemlexusparts.com I found the cable and rail for about $325 ($650 plus S&H for both sides.) I haven't been able to find just the little plastic piece that goes on the end of the cable, or the cable/plastic piece.

It is costing $200 to take down and reinstall the headliner, plus my mechanic's time to take out and reinstall the sunroof. To me it is not worth over $650 to have a wi\orking sunroof, and I wudbe happy just to get it to close and stay closed.

Has anybody had any similar experience, know where to find those little plastic pieces that fit on the ends of the cable, or been able to close a malfunctioning sunroof and have it not leak? Lexus told my mechanic when people have tried using silicon or something similar to seal a sunroof that didn't totally close, it always leaked.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

This thread may not help you exactly but does have a couple diagram PDFs attached.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=44853

I found it doing a sunroof+close Search.

I wonder if the plastic piece could be fabricated by a machine shop in your area.

Thanks for the helpful information! I will give it to my mechanic.