Quite A Bit Of Tar/grease On Passenger Side

amcdonal86

I was washing the car today, and I noticed quite a large amount of tar/grease on the passenger side of the car, most heavily around the bottom of the front wheel well. It appears to have splattered toward the rear and sides of the car.

I'm thinking some part has started leaking or perhaps I have blown a strut. Does this sound right? How could I tell?

I was washing the car today, and I noticed quite a large amount of tar/grease on the passenger side of the car, most heavily around the bottom of the front wheel well. It appears to have splattered toward the rear and sides of the car.

I'm thinking some part has started leaking or perhaps I have blown a strut. Does this sound right? How could I tell?

That is a common occurrence. On crowned roads, especially when it gets hot, the oil and tar seeps to the edge of the road. If you happen to habitually drive close to the right edge of the road you will pick up even more gunk. If you drive rural areas very much you may have driven on a recently oiled or surfaced road.

I see you have an 86 944. Mine was an 84. It would especially pick up road tar with the flared fenders. That and trying to hit the apex of a turn just right would put the car on the edge of the road. Mud flaps just didn't look right on the 944 so mineral spirits was the solvent used to remove the gunk.