Inaccurate Tachometer?

90LS400Lexus

I have never paid much attention, but yesterday, when I was setting at a traffic light (car in drive of course), the tachometer was almost down on zero. When I got home, I looked again and it was almost down on zero. In park, its a little above zero. It goes up when accelerating, but seems like it dont ever go very high, but I know it dont take much RPMS for these engines and normal driving, but zero at idle seems extreme.

Whats going on with my tach? (ALL other gauges work perfectly).

I also have a 91 LS 400 and it does the same thing.

The Service Manual says to test it with a tachometer tester and if it doesn't match up - replace the tachometer.

Doesn't seem like it gives much room to fix anything.

There might be some electronic wiz out there that knows how to fix it.

I did see a place on the internet where you can send them your whole combination meter and they will fix everything on it and send it back to you for $175.00.

Mine has the tach off like yours, the speedometer is off, and I have the tach needle fading. That $175.00 is looking pretty good to me.

Jerry

Thanks. Sometimes mine is not inaccurate. Its strange. Speedometer is still OK on mine, as are all the needle lights... for now anyway. ;)

I also have a 91 LS 400 and it does the same thing.

The Service Manual says to test it with a tachometer tester and if it doesn't match up - replace the tachometer.

Doesn't seem like it gives much room to fix anything.

There might be some electronic wiz out there that knows how to fix it.

I did see a place on the internet where you can send them your whole combination meter and they will fix everything on it and send it back to you for $175.00.

Mine has the tach off like yours, the speedometer is off, and I have the tach needle fading. That $175.00 is looking pretty good to me.

Jerry