99 Es300 Oil Consumption

Regarding 1999 ES300:

• Bought new Oct 1998
  • Current mileage - 110K
  • Serviced at dealer first 75K; independent Lexus garage since then (oil changes every 5K miles)
  • Recent service: timing belt/water pump, valve cover gaskets, PCV valve, transaxle fluid change (prescribed 15K mile service)

PROBLEM: Consumes 1 qt of oil every 350-650 miles, more quickly in highway driving than city. No oil on engine, no oil in driveway, no smoke. Performance and fuel economy good (27-30 mpg in recent trip). Car seems to run and drive perfectly.

What are we overlooking?

Most likely a PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation valve), is bad. I would recomend replacing the valve cover grommet while replacing the valve. Total cost under $15 dollars, and a couple mins to replace (very simple).

Apprectiate your response, but as noted in my post, this has already been done by my independent Lexus mechanic.

I quess I missed that. Did the oil consumption start suddenly, or has it been slowly getting worse? If it started suddenly, (especially if it happened after the service try replacing the PVC valve again). I would also suggest giving the valve a quick inspection to make sure that it is seated into the valve cover properly, and that they did indeed replace it (it is always possible that they may have forgotten to replace while doing the service). And did you closely inspect the rear valve cover? With the amount of tilt that these engines have, the rear valve cover has a tendency to leak. You have relitively low mileage so it is not likely to be rings, and if the valve stem seals are worn, you would see a significant puff of smoke out the exhaust when you start.

My car has 130k miles on it, when I start I get a clearly visible amount out the exhaust (easily seen in the rear view mirror), and I am only using about 1 quart every 600miles or so.

I quess I missed that. Did the oil consumption start suddenly, or has it been slowly getting worse? If it started suddenly, (especially if it happened after the service try replacing the PVC valve again). I would also suggest giving the valve a quick inspection to make sure that it is seated into the valve cover properly, and that they did indeed replace it (it is always possible that they may have forgotten to replace while doing the service). And did you closely inspect the rear valve cover? With the amount of tilt that these engines have, the rear valve cover has a tendency to leak. You have relitively low mileage so it is not likely to be rings, and if the valve stem seals are worn, you would see a significant puff of smoke out the exhaust when you start.

My car has 130k miles on it, when I start I get a clearly visible amount out the exhaust (easily seen in the rear view mirror), and I am only using about 1 quart every 600miles or so.

Thanks again, George. It started back around 100K, right after the timing belt replacement and I think the valve cover gaskets were done at the same time. I will definitely go back to my garage for another look. It may indeed be a problem with the "new" PCV valve.