First Time Lexus Owner Advice Please

ejthomp

I just purchased a Lexus for my wife. 2004 LS430 with 38,000 miles. It seems to be a beautiful car in great condition and I intend to keep it that way. This car will be driven by my wife to and from work (15 miles) along with family errands.

I don't have any desire to do anything with the car except keep it running and looking good. I do all of my own auto work and have for about the last 20 years. Anything short of a tranny or engine rebuild/replacement and I'm confident I can do it in my garage.

The car has new brakes all around and new tires. The 30,000 mile service has not been done so that is my first target.

Any advice on things I should look for on this new car?

Something to verify is whether or not your car was one of the 13,000 2004 LS430s subject to the transmission recall and, if so, whether or not the transmission has been replaced. See the attached document.

Otherwise, you should find that your LS is a fairly low maintenance car. If you plan to keep it a long time, visit your local Toyota dealer and buy a 10-pack of oil filters and oil plug gasket rings. Price is usually much less than at a Lexus dealers and has run about me about $40.

2004_LS430_transmission_recall.pdf

Yes, it was one of those 13,000 vehicles and the fuel pump and transmission were replaced when the vehicle had 4,500 miles on it. Since that was about 5 years ago now, I figure the replacement must be okay... right?

$40 for 10 oil filters? Thanks, I'll do that!