Check Engine Light On And Off For Two Weeks

Hello

I just purchased a used '96 ES300 from a dealer. Everything seemed fine upon inspection and test driving, except I had to do brake job for the rear. Just after a week of normal driving, the "CHECK ENGINE" light came on for about 3 days then it went off automatically for 2 days and the back on again, and has been on since for a straight week now. Could somebody please advise? It has 270k on the odometer, but I must say that it drives like a charm. I had just changed the oil and filter yesterday due to this same problem, but the light it still on. I have also noticed a rather high gas consumption per mileage.

• 2 weeks later...
Check engine light, with low gas mileage could indicate a bad O2 sensor. You need to have the codes read, and find out the Pxxxx numbers of the code, otherwise it is all speculation.

Thanks George! I did read the code and it says P0441 ---Something to do with the air intake system so someone suggested there might be a leak in the air intake channels/hoses etc.....Any suggestions..........Note that the car still drives superb.

P0441 is a evap leak, part of the evaporative emissions. This would not affect your gas mileage. Most likely causes would be split/cracked/broken hoses, any associated with the charcoal canister, and gas tank, or a bad gas cap (note not closing the gas cap completely after refueling can cause this issue).

Bad gas mileage, especially with this many miles on it, I would start with replacing Bank 1 sensor 1 and Bank 2 sensor 1 air fuel sensors (O2 sensors) these sensors have a definate like span, and when they start to go, the computer interpets the degraded signal as a lean running condition. It then adds fuel to compensate, and your mileage then stinks.