2001 Es-300, 76k Miles, Engine Idle Problem

Hi all... I am more of a lurker, but I am hoping someone has seen this problem too?

My ES-300 can't maintain idle... sometimes.

The starter / battery are fine. Solenoid clicks and kicks every time and the battery is brand new (less than 5000 miles).

I just go to turn the ignition and it idles for maybe half a second and the RPMs just drop and it cuts out. I can manually maintain idle if I keep my foot on the gas, but when I let off the gas the RPMs drop and it dies.

It doesn't seem to be temperature sensitive. It intermittently behaves this way on cold mornings and hot afternoons alike.

It is a random problem, only occurring... maybe 50% of the time.

This morning I inspected the airbox, thinking I got a plastic bag jammed in there.... nothing looks out of the ordinary and the air filter is pristine.

For some reason the check engine light does NOT light up.... which has me baffled completely.

Does anyone know whats going on here?.... is there a quick fix? The car runs GREAT up to this point, regular engine oil replacements. Car is driven daily 2-3 miles to my bus stop, and freeways on weekends.

Thanks in advance.

You probably need to clean your IACV valve, The procedure has been posted on this site as well as the other site. Here is the procedure on the RX300 probably similiar to yours.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=30723&hl=

I have a '99 ES300 with a similar sounding problem (though I'm also getting the dreaded P0170 code). The problems with rough idle, CEL/Trac Off, and black smoke blowing from the exhaust during hard acceleration started after I changed my car's batter. My mechanic mentioned the replacement batter coudl be setting off these problems. The current Sears batter gives 13 or so amps. The model requires a car battery with about 14.2 or so Amps. Could this be cuasing the problems?