94 Es Radio Station Buttons Not Working

Greetings.

Yesterday the 2, 3 and 4 preset buttons on my 94 ES radio stopped working. So, I resorted to the tried-and-true way of coping with non-functioning electronics and hit them with my fist.

They worked!

Then today they cut out again. Hitting unsuccessful.

Any ideas for a quick diagnosis or fix? Or...is my radio finally crapping out after 15 years?

Many thanks.

I've solved a similar problem some time ago, on another car's audio system, by removing the entire radio to the workbench. The front of the radio just unclipped from the metal case and I pulled it away from the case to straighten the ribbon cables between the two.

At that point I was able to slide the locking tab (part of the ribbon cable socket on the printed circuit board) away from the circuit board about an eighth of an inch to unlock it, and remove the ribbon cable. A shot of contact cleaner into the connector, a few minutes for the fluid to evaporate, and I reinstalled the ribbon cables and the front of the radio.

A test install back in the car showed that I'd fixed the problem, so I installed the radio and the dash pieces, and the radio worked perfectly for the remaining few years that I owned the car.

I'm not saying that this will work for you, but you have to remove the radio anyway to replace it, so it may be worth a try. Good Luck!

I've solved a similar problem some time ago, on another car's audio system, by removing the entire radio to the workbench. The front of the radio just unclipped from the metal case and I pulled it away from the case to straighten the ribbon cables between the two.

At that point I was able to slide the locking tab (part of the ribbon cable socket on the printed circuit board) away from the circuit board about an eighth of an inch to unlock it, and remove the ribbon cable. A shot of contact cleaner into the connector, a few minutes for the fluid to evaporate, and I reinstalled the ribbon cables and the front of the radio.

A test install back in the car showed that I'd fixed the problem, so I installed the radio and the dash pieces, and the radio worked perfectly for the remaining few years that I owned the car.

I'm not saying that this will work for you, but you have to remove the radio anyway to replace it, so it may be worth a try. Good Luck!

That's actually not a bad suggestion at all, thanks. Due to the poor design of the cup holders/radio/ashtray in the 94 ES I constantly have whatever liquid I'm drinking on the way into work each morning splash or spill a little and it goes right onto the buttons of the radio.

Now...can anyone point me to good detailed step-by-step of the radio removal for the 94 ES??

Go online to the12volt.com website, search for your make, model and year, and they'll list the instructions for pulling the dash parts to get at the radio, as well as the interior door panels etc. Its a site for audio installers, and its free.

the12volt.com

Good Luck!

Go online to the12volt.com website, search for your make, model and year, and they'll list the instructions for pulling the dash parts to get at the radio, as well as the interior door panels etc. Its a site for audio installers, and its free.

the12volt.com

Good Luck!

Thanks, I'll check it out then decide to take it to a local car alarm/stereo shop and pay to have them do it!