Repairs On 2001 Ls 430 (northern Nj)

NJLS4302001

Hi. I am new to this Forum.

I purchased my 2001 LS (on Ebay!) with about 35K miles, and now have about 135K. Other than having regular oil changes, and changing a few of the easily accessible filters, I have done minimal maintenance so far. I love driving the car, and am having no problems, except for a recalcitrant radio that crackles when it is raining or humid before eventually kicking in.

Obviously, the timing belt beckons.

Since I am out of sync with the dealers' recommended service scheduling, I sought out an estimate for an "a la carte" selection of services from one of the local dealers in northern New Jersey for: timing belt change/water pump change, and general tune-up (i.e. new spark plugs, etc.). The total bill would be about $2,000!

This seems to me to be high. It's not that I don't wish to maintain the car in the best possible shape, since I do expect to have it at least until 300K (which is what I had on my old Honda Accord). But some of these dealerships are beginning to look like a Ritz-Carlton, and that is something I don't wish to subsidize.

(1) Does anyone know of a good independent repair place (maybe one that specializes in Lexus) in the tri-state area (preferably northern NJ) that may be an alternative to a dealer?

(2) Even if (1) exists, is it still better to have the work at the dealer?

(3) Do you really need to change the water pump at this point (~600 $ on top of timing belt charge).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

unless the water pump cost 600 which i highly doubt, it shouldnt be an additional amount. once you tear off the timing belt the water pumps right there it couldnt be more than 15 or 20 bolts. i would get a quote from another shop but make sure they're accredited.

Welcome to the forum. I am surprised to hear a dealer wants 600 for the waterpump. Odd...and yes, you are well overdue for that timing belt. I would get it done asap. Also, you should clean your throttlebody out and MAF sensor. There are directions to clean it on the forum. I live in southern NJ (past cherry hill) and I can think of only a handful of people who can do the job right. There is an independent by me that I am going to talk to on my 05 LS430.

Anyway, enjoy the ride and drive safe.

GDF

Well maybe you can find an independent in your area and you get the parts from www.parts.com and provide to technician.

Parts are Timing belt $24, Idler pulley $61, Tensioner $52 (might not need), water pump $99.

$236 including water pump for parts.....

Say 6 hours at $90/hr for an indie and you have $540 labor, 236 parts or $776 which is a darn sight less than dealer. Now you know how they pay for those cute muffins and coffees of the world in the waiting area......

unless the water pump cost 600 which i highly doubt, it shouldnt be an additional amount. once you tear off the timing belt the water pumps right there it couldnt be more than 15 or 20 bolts. i would get a quote from another shop but make sure they're accredited.

Thank you all very much for the advice. GDF: if you happen to latch on to a good independent in southern NJ or Philly area, please pass along his name. I am willing to travel a distance for competent, fairly priced repair work. Thanks.